Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Object of the Day: Victorian and Edwardian Combs

In our world of tousled hair, bed-head and ponytails, we don’t see much occasion for a woman to use a hair ornament such as the lovely combs that were prevalent during the Victorian and Edwardian periods. These objects weren’t for the combing of hair in the way one of those black plastic pocket combs would be, but rather they were used as a decorative way of holding the hair in place. Usually worn at the back or side of the head to tame up-swept hair or a chignon, these combs were often highly ornamental. Many sparkled with crystals or rhinestones. Some, even, were crafted of precious metals and gems. Others were relatively simple designs of bone, shell, or Bakelite (an early plastic created around 1907).

I’ve always been fascinated by these antique combs and have collected several which I display in shadow boxes that my father and mother built. I think, in some ways, these very personal items are the most precious. They were used in something as intimate as the styling of hair, worn on a person, and went with them throughout their day. If only we could see what these combs silently witnessed… I find such an idea to be quite fantastic and am always excited to find that personal items like this survive.

Styles change, of course, but, if there were some sort of process to do so, I’d vote to have combs like these comb back in vogue. I imagine that the woman wearing one of these combs felt particularly regal. We all need that now and again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the shadow box look, but without air the combs will deteriorate. I just wanted you to know that even in museums they "air" the combs periodically. Great to see them appreciated though.