Monday, July 19, 2010

Object of the Day: Victorian Tea Caddy

Here’s an unusual object. This tea caddy was found at the traveling “Antique Elegance” show (formerly known as “Victorian Elegance”). While a tea caddy is a fairly standard antique item to find, I’ve never seen one like this. Covered in black leather, the casket has ormolu detailing, feet and handles. The lid frames a beautiful petit point and beaded textile behind glass. Opening the lid reveals that the underside frames a magnificent petit point Persian-themed scene behind glass and framed in ormolu and painted paper. The caddy itself has its original lead (!) lining with the compartment’s interior lid sporting a small ivory knob.


I’ve seen many a tea caddy throughout our countless antiquing trips. They’re usually wood, often inlaid. Sometimes, they’re Papier Mache with Mother of Pearl and painted details. Yet, I can’t recall ever coming across one covered in leather and certainly not sporting original beadwork and petit point.

I look at the ceramic jar of tea bags on my kitchen counter and wonder why we don’t give importance to every day things like this anymore. In fact, that gives me an idea…

No comments: