Thursday, June 20, 2013

Treat of the Week, Part 2: Fathers' Day Edition





Since I took the week off last week, you're getting two "Treats of the Week," this week.  Yesterday, we looked at Bertie's Birthday Burger Bash, 2013.  So, today, we're going to look at the Fathers' Day Feast my mother prepared for my pop.

It was a traditional southern dinner of pork barbeque in a sweet, but sauce which made the meat so tender it shredded beautifully.  Accompanying this was one of my favorites: black-eyed peas.  We also had some new additions to my mother's repertoire of recipes.  One was a cool coleslaw of purple and green cabbage and carrots.  Not only was it colorful, it was light.  Instead of mayonnaise, my mother used ranch dressing and her own special blend of seasonings.  A side of mustard greens and pearl onions was a delightful accompaniment to the meal.  Crusty rolls made for a perfect opportunity to make barbeque sandwiches topped with pickles.  It was a happy Fathers' Day indeed.





And, it was made all the better by the dessert.  The whole family enjoys a blueberry and peach pie, but it's certainly one of my father's favorites.  This rectangular pie/tart was made from scratch and baked to beautiful perfection.  No one, and I mean no one, makes a better pie crust than my mother.




So, a belated "Happy Fathers' Day" to all you dads out there.

13 comments:

Gene said...

Fantastic dinner. I got nothing.

Matt said...

Glad you guys had a good day. Looks like really good barbeque.

April said...

My dad would have liked that a lot.

Bonnie said...

Oh, my dad would have liked that, too. I know my husband still does. Maybe I'll make a pork roast this weekend for him. I'm afraid his father's day was overwhelmed with a very messy breakfast in bed. Your mom always does such a beautiful job of everything and the pie is so beautiful!

Sam P said...

It all looks super!

Carolyn said...

Again, your mother's cooking made my mouth water.

Beth Ann said...

Burgers yesterday for dinner. Barbeque tonight! If only your mom would send me a cake and a pie to go with it!

Angelo said...

Man that looks sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good.

Book Gurl said...

Stunning Pie!!!!

Doug said...

I'd become a father for a dinner like that.

Gregg said...

Great looking pie!

Kathy said...

Two great treats. The cake yesterday was AMAZING and this pie is gorgeous!

Wendy said...

Always beautiful.