Monday, April 15, 2013

Treat of the Week: A Sweet and Savory Springtime Supper





Though random snowstorms are still popping up across the United States, the fact of the matter is...it's Spring.  Really.  As is often the case, when the weather turns warm, our appetites turn to lighter fare, often prepared out-of-doors.

I'm fortunate to come from people who know how to cook and who have all of the tools required.  An idea springtime meal is a rotisserie chicken.  I lack the requisite appliances to make such a treat.  However, my parents' fancy grill has a rotisserie.  And, look at the attractive results.  A meal such as this is perfect with fresh snowpeas.  My mother makes them with a little soy sauce and some roasted sesame seeds.  Why not grill some potatoes to go with it?  The leftover chicken, I might add, is ideal for chicken salad!









After such a meal, a cool and creamy dessert adorned with fruit is "the way to do it."  Take this cake, for example--a creation of my mother's, bursting with the flavors of lemon curd and spring berries.  Of course, my mother makes her own lemon curd, but if you're not as adventurous, you can buy some pre-made in a jar in the "jams and jellies" section of your grocery store.  



This gorgeous dessert features layers of light and fluffy homemade sponge cake sandwiched with lemon curd and fruit and topped with piped whipped cream and more fresh fruit.  It's a cooling treat for the end of a warm, bright meal.  And, really, that's the kind of springtime I like--fresh and flavorful without the pollen and bees.



13 comments:

Matt said...

The dinner looks good, but that cake is a real work of art!!

April said...

I want to dive into that cake. Save me a drumstick.

Book Gurl said...

What a great picnic lunch. The cake is very beautiful.

Renee said...

I am so happy to see that there are still real cooks in homes in the world today. To know that loving mothers make meals like these for their families is such a beautiful thing.

Mark said...

That IS the way to do it.

Beth Ann said...

I wish I had a rotissarie. Really pretty! I want a piece of cake.

Angelo said...

Really nice!!!!

Kathy said...

Looks all so fantastic!!!!

Gregg said...

Gorgeous cake! Really looks wonderful!

Carolyn said...

I just love the way the cake is decorated with the cream and berries it looks like a basket of fruit. I love it!

Gene said...

Another superior meal. I would like very much to eat it.

Barb said...

Wow! So pretty!

Sam P said...

Going to have to pick myself up a chicken for dinner now. Too bad there's no store for cakes like that.