Saturday, April 27, 2013

At the Music Hall: I'm Shy, Mary Ellen, I'm Shy, 1910



I courted Mary Ellen for fourteen solid years, 
But she made me blush when she,
One night boldly said to me,
'You've never kissed me once, John,
Tho' I'd like you to', she sighed,
'Why don't you call me pretty names?'
I hung my head & cried,

I'm shy, Mary Ellen, I'm shy,
It does seem so naughty, oh my!
Kissing is nicey, I've often heard say,
But still how to do it, I don't know the way,
So you put your arm round my waist,
I promise I won't scream or cry,
So you do the kissing & cuddling instead,
'Cause I'm shy Mary Ellen I'm shy.

Last year with Mary Ellen to Lowestoft I went,
Mary Ellen said to me, 'I'm going bathing in the sea'
So while I go & have a splash, where all the ladies go,
You go & have a bathe amongst the men', I said,'No,no!

I'm shy, Mary Ellen, I'm shy,
It does seem so naughty, oh my!
Men are so rough & I'm sure they will stare
They'll splash me & duck me if I go in there.
The girls ain't so rough as the men,
And they wouldn't duck me or try
So I'd rather bathe here along with the girls
Cause I'm shy, Mary Ellen, I'm shy'.

While out with Mary Ellen we met a 6 foot man,
'That's the saucy scamp', said he,
'Who last week insulted me,
Not just you thrash the massive brute
I looked at his six feet, then she said,
'Take your coat off,' but I said 'What, in the street?

I'm shy, Mary Ellen, I'm shy,
It would look so naughty, oh my,
I said as I looked at the great hulking chap,
If I wasn't for one thing, I'd give him a slap,
But look at the ladies about
They'ld all stop to look, and, oh my!
If I take my coat off they'll see all my shirt
and I'm shy, Mary Ellen, I'm shy'.
To marry Mary Ellen I went to church one morn,
While the party with the bride went to church,
I stood aside, for quite an hour I stood there,
While she waited to be wed,
Then she came out & said,
Come on, I don't like to, I said,

'I'm shy Mary Ellen I'm shy,
It would look so naughty, oh my!
But still we got married & got home alright,
And kept up the fun with our friends until night,
Then they wished Mary Ellen good-bye,
And they started to go, so did I,
Then she said, 'You're not going', I said, 'Yes I am,
'Cause I'm shy, Mary Ellen, I'm shy!'


Written by Charles Ridgewell and George Stevens in 1910, this comic song about a mousy guy’s love for a young lady was popularized by Music Hall star Jack Pleasants.  This song was famously performed in the third class lodgings aboard the Titanic

Enjoy this rendition by Mr. Pleasants.  I would like to note that it is labeled as 1903, however, this would be impossible since it was not written until 1910—coincidentally the year of the death of King Edward VII and the accession of King George V.

No comments: