Friday, January 27, 2012

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 447

Mama Routhe wrung her hands nervously as she waited.  Charles seemed to be taking longer than he had promised, and she hoped that this young white man would be true to his word, or, at least, smart enough to remember what he’d said he was going to do.  She comforted herself with the thought that he was the Duke of Fallbridge’s man and that the Duke, while somewhat odd, would not have hired an idiot to attend him.

After what seemed a sticky eternity, Mama finally heard shouting from outside the house.  She knew immediately that the she had been right to put her faith in Charles.

“Open up!”  A gruff man shouted as he pounded on the door.

More time passed and voices were raised, both masculine and feminine.

Finally, after another eternity, the door to the room in which Mama had been held was unlocked and swung open as Young Marie entered.

“Come with me,”  Marie Laveau’s namesake daughter commanded.

“Why?”  Mama asked innocently.  “What’s happening?”

“It’s the authorities.  The city inspector.  He says since the fire the house may not be safe and they got to inspect it to make sure it ain’t gonna fall down around us.  They need all of us out for a spell while they look around.”

“What about your ma?”  Mama Routhe asked.

“Mind your business!”  Young Marie snapped nervously.  “I know Mama wouldn’t want no city people pokin’ around the house, but I also know she’d be  terrible riled up to come home and find a notice on the door.  I figure if we cooperate, they’ll leave us alone.”

Mama Routhe nodded.

“Now, you listen to me.”  Young Marie continued.  “You and I are goin’ out in the alley.  You’re not to talk to them city men.  You’re not to say a word.  Do you understand?”

Mama nodded again.

As she followed Young Marie, she smiled.  Charles had kept his word.  He went and got the fire marshal just as he said he would.  She knew he’d be waiting for her in the alley.  She said a prayer quickly, hoping that the next part of their plan would go as smoothly as the first.

Mama Routhe walked past the men from the city without saying a word.  They didn’t pay her any mind at all.  Why would they?  She dutifully followed Young Marie into the alley.  Marie pointed to a crate, indicating that she wanted Mama to sit.  The young woman leaned against a wall and stared at Mama.

“I don’t know what my mother wants with the likes of you.”  Young Marie sniffed.  “But, she done tol’ me to make sure I don’t let you out of my sight.”

“Good thinking,”  Charles said as he approached, startling Young Marie.

“What you want?” the girl snarled.  “I know who you are!”

“I figured you would.”  Charles smiled.  “Now, back away and let me take this woman with me.”

“No.”  Young Marie laughed.

“You’ll want to do as I say.”  Charles said firmly.

“What and have my mother whup me?  I don’t think so.”

“Your mother isn’t going to ‘whup’ anyone.”  Charles shook his head.

“Oh really?”  Young Marie laughed.  “Why’s that?”

“It would be rather difficult for her to do considering where she is.”  Charles continued.

“What you mean?”  Young Marie asked.

“When I ran to fetch the marshal, I noticed your mother.”

“Huh?”

“Yes, she’s tied up outside of Iolanthe Evangeline’s house.”  Charles shrugged.  She seems to have blood all down the front of her gown.” 

“What?”

“Looked to me as if Iolanthe was inviting people to throw rubbish at her.”

“You’re lyin’!”  Young Marie growled.

“Am I?”  Charles winked.


Did you miss Chapters 1-446?  If so, you can read them here.  

2 comments:

Dashwood said...

From what I've heard about Marie Laveau anybody that'd show her disrespect - let alone do her harm - would be still getting tortured today.

But I hope Charles is right.

Joseph Crisalli said...

All will be revealed tomorrow. : )