Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Punch’s Cousin, Chapter 445

Chum!” Punch said brightly as Cecil and Charles approached.

Charles looked uneasily at Cecil.

“You!” Punch whooped at Charles. “I mean you!”

“Your Grace,” Charles bowed his head.

“Mr. Punch,” Punch corrected the man.

“As you wish, Sir.”

“Are you back?” Mr. Punch asked.

“Charles has returned.” Cecil explained. “It seems he has abandoned any idea of remaining with Barbara Allen.”

Mr. Punch sighed. “Broke your heart, did she? Here, she’s just like the song from what she took her name, she is. Sorry if she hurt, ya, but it was to be expected. Weren’t it? Well, never you mind ‘bout none of that. You’re here with us now and we’ll look after you.”

“Sir?” Charles began.

“What’s the trouble, Charles?” Robert interrupted suspiciously.

“I wish to apologize.” Charles continued. “I behaved badly. I was rude and, worse, disloyal.”

“Coo,” Punch shook his head. “Though I don’t understand it me-self, I ‘preciate that a lady can turn a man’s head and make him act in ways what he wouldn’t usually. Now, I know Barbara better than any of you and know that she’s got a way of—what’s it called?” He looked at Robert.

“Manipulating?” Robert suggested.

“That’s it.” Mr. Punch nodded. “See, you’re young, you are, and from what I been told, it’s natural for a young man to make decisions with his heart. I don’t fault you for that only it were hurtful to know that them decisions were only gonna end up makin’ you suffer.”

“You’re very kind, Sir.”

“He is,” Robert added. “I wouldn’t like to think that anyone would take advantage of His Grace’s kindness.”

“I don’t wonder why you would think I would, Sir.” Charles sighed. “I treated His Grace terribly. I was disrespectful and…”

“Here,” Punch waved his hand. “We all done things what aren’t always respectful. Seems to me that we been living through unusual times. Don’t it? I ‘spect a man ain’t always at his best when he’s got to endure all sorts of things what confuse and frighten him. Let’s not say no more ‘bout it. If you want your position back, you got it. We can add one more to our party on the ship.”

“You’ll have to share your bunk with Gerard.” Robert glared.

“I don’t mind, Sir.” Charles responded. “Frankly, I’d do anything just know that I was once again in your good graces.”

“Is that so?”Robert smiled.

“Yes.”

“Well, then,” Robert nodded. “I do have a task that you can complete for us before we depart.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-444? If so, you can read them here.

No comments: