Monday, January 23, 2012

Punch’s Cousin, Chapter 443

Odo spotted Barbara Allen seated on the steps outside of Big Ollie’s shop. He grinned and licked his lips, straightening his jacket as he walked toward her.
He bowed upon reaching her.

“Miss Allen,” he smiled.

“Not now, Odo.” Barbara frowned.

“I only want to know what a fine lady is doing in a place like this, Miss.” Odo continued. “This ain’t the part of town a lady wants to be in.”

“I’m no lady,” Barbara smirked.

“But, you are.” Odo shook his head. “Ain’t fit for you to be alone here. Where’s you gentleman friend—that Italian man?”

“I have no friends, Odo.” Barbara stood up.

“Maybe he’s inside with Big Ollie.”

“Big Ollie?” Barbara raised one eyebrow.

“This is his shop.” Odo pointed to the building.

“I’m just resting here, Odo.” Barbara sighed. “Now, run along back to Mr. Cage.”

“Like I done said, Miss,” Odo smiled. “This ain’t a good place for a lady to be.”

“And as I said, Odo, I’m no lady. And, honestly, this is none of your concern. If you’ll, please, now, leave me alone.”

“I can’t do that, Miss.” Odo said. “What kind of gentleman would I be if I did?”

“You’re not a gentleman.” Barbara laughed loudly. “You’re a pig—just like the rest of us. You’re a greedy, cowardly pig.”

“Now, that ain’t fair, Miss.” Odo feigned insult, “I’m only tryin’ to help ya.”

“I don’t need your help.”

“But, you need Big Ollie’s help?”

“Mind your business, Odo.” Barbara warned.

“Come now, Miss. Like you done said, I’m a pig just like you. And, ain’t nothin’ that a pig knows better than another pig. You’re here ‘cause you done business with Ollie, but you don’t know what sort of man he is.”

“I know more about him than you do. I assure you.” Barbara chuckled.

“Is that so?” Odo winked.

“Go away.” Barbara spat.

“So, you know all about Big Ollie?” Odo smiled again.

“What is it that you want, Odo?” Barbara scowled. “If you’re trying to get my son back for Edward Cage, you’re too late. He’s long gone now, and you’ll never find him.”

“I know ‘xactly where your boy is.” Odo smirked. “I done took him to the Duke myself.”

“You?” Barbara’s eyes widened. “Why would you of all people do that?”

“Marie done tol’ me to.” Odo nodded.

“Marie Laveau? She’s no supporter of my brother. Why would she?”

“Marie’s got vision.” Odo answered. “She can see what we can’t. She knows what’s right and what ain’t.”

“How comforting.” Barbara growled.

“See, she sent me, and I done what she said ‘cause I trust her. She knows what she’s about.”

“Did she send you to find me?” Barbara asked.

“No. I done that on my own.”

“You’ve been following me, then?”

“Not all the time.” Odo winked again.

“What do you want from me?” Barbara sighed.

“I want to help you. Miss, I know Big Ollie. My brother, he done business with Ollie once. Thought he was gonna be treated fair. Didn’t work out that way. No, he got himself killed while Ollie kept all my brother’s finery. That giant—he’s gonna so the same to you if you ain’t careful.”

“Thank you for the information.” Barbara shrugged. “However, I know what I’ve gotten myself into.”

“I don’t think you do.” Odo sniffed.

Barbara studied Odo, looking into his yellow eyes.

“What is it, Miss?”

“Why are you not at your post? It’s not like Mr. Cage to let you roam about.”

“I got troubles, Miss.”

“I have no doubt of that.”

“I done made a lot of people angry.” Odo continued.

“Mr. Cage? Marie Laveau? My brother?” Barbara asked.

“Sure. All of ‘em.” Odo nodded.

“Odo? Since you’ve been so kind to me, will you let me do you a kindness?”

“I never refuse anyone’s kindness, Miss.” Odo winked.

“I’m sure you don’t.” Barbara chuckled. “Come with me, then, Odo. I have had a divine inspiration.”

“Have you?” Odo smiled.

“Yes.” Barbara nodded. “Are you hungry?”

“I am.”

“Let me feed you, then, and we can talk. I’m terribly sorry I was so rude just now.”

“Ain’t nothin’.” Odo grinned broadly.

“Let’s walk, then.” Barbara gestured toward the banquette.

“As you wish, Miss.” Odo followed her—pleased that his scheme had worked.



Did you miss Chapters 1-432? If so, you can read them here.

No comments: