Saturday, November 12, 2011

Punch’s Cousin, Chapter 392

“Mother of God,” Giovanni gasped when he saw Ulrika. “What’s happened to you?”


“I’ve had a bit of a spat with my former maid.” Ulrika sighed.

“It looks as if she beat you.” Giovanni exclaimed.

“She got as good as she gave. If not worse…” Ulrika waved her hand. “Now, how’s the child?”

“He’s sleeping.” Giovanni nodded. “Is a good baby.”

“Of course he is.” Ulrika smiled though her cheeks hurt from the bruises which colored them. “He’s a Rittenhouse now.”

“What is next for us?”

“I’ve hired a carriage and driver.” Ulrika winked. “He’s just outside.”

“We leave now?” Giovanni’s eyes widened.

“Well, yes.” Ulrika spat.

“What of my things? What of yours?”

“We’ll get new things in Marionneaux.”

“But, my…”

“No.” Ulrika commanded. “Remember, I’m very wealthy. There’s nothing that I can’t get for you. Besides, I have a little something special put away for emergencies.”

“The diamond?”

“Never you mind,” Ulrika smiled, picking up little Fuller Halifax who remained asleep. “We must go now.”

“I’m not accustomed to taking orders from anyone—least of all a woman.”

“I suggest that you become accustomed to it.” Ulrika growled. “That is, if you wish to survive. You do have a choice. However, you must make it now.”

Giovanni grinned. “Of course, I will come.”

“I rather though you would, really.” Ulrika laughed. “Now, hurry.”

At that very moment, at the Cage House on Royal Street, Edward Cage bellowed. “Conspiracy! You all colluded to get me away from the boy so that you could take him!”

“How could we have done that?” Robert argued. “You hadn’t even admitted that the child was here!”

“You and your slave and your idiot friend and your brother and his whore wife!” Edward hissed. “You colluded!”

Marjani struggled as the officer shoved her against the wall.

“I need something to bind her with!” The officer shouted. “She’s vicious!”

“Let her go!” Robert screamed.

Surprisingly, the man took his hands off of Marjani.

Robert exhaled. “I don’t know what’s happened down here, Edward. I truly don’t. However, I do know that someone must attend to that man.” He pointed to the younger officer who lay on the floor of the foyer.

“What, so you can finish what your friend started?” The elder officer snarled.

“So, I can save his life!”

“Don’t trust him,” Edward bellowed.

“If you want this man to live, you’ve got to let me take care of him.” Robert shouted.

The elder officer looked at Edward Cage who shook his head.

“The more time we waste, the closer he’ll be to death!” Robert snarled.



Did you miss Chapters 1-391? If so, you can read them here.

No comments: