Saturday, October 29, 2011

Punch’s Cousin, Chapter 380

Gentlemen,” Edward Cage smiled as he descended the stairs to find two uniformed authorities in his foyer. “May I help you?”


“You own a man named Odo?” One of them asked.

“I do.” Edward nodded. “Have you found him intoxicated?”

“No.” The man growled. “We found him after he murdered an elderly white woman.”

“I can’t believe that he would have done that. Odo is too stupid to be dangerous.”

“We’ve taken him. He’ll be executed.” The other man spat.

“Did you catch him in the act of killing this woman? What was her name?”

“Agnes Rittenhouse. You’re friends with the Rittenhouse family, aren’t you? Their eldest is staying here. Is she not?”

“My wife and I are very good friends with the Rittenhouses. However, the woman you speak of was a cousin—a poor relation. She worked for them. A very pathetic woman, and, one I am sad to say, who probably had ties to the wrong kind of people.”

“What exactly do you mean?” The second man asked.

“You know how people like that are. I’ve heard she was fond of spirits. Perhaps other things…a very troubled woman.”

“I see.” The men nodded in unison.

“A very unnatural type.” Edward Cage continued.

“Unnatural in what way, Mr. Cage?”

“You know…” Edward winked.

“Ah.” The older of the two men smiled.

“I had sent Odo with some provisions for her.” Edward lied. “You see, my wife, Corliss, she’s always trying to minister to these poor people. Since Mrs. Cage has taken ill, I’ve tried to take up with her charitable duties. I sent my man with the usual things that Mrs. Cage sends.”

“Your wife is ill?”

“Yes,” Edward nodded. “The Yellow Fever.”

The two men covered their mouths with their hands.

“It’s quite sad.” Edward nodded. “But, don’t worry, she’s quarantined in her room.”

“So, you knew that your man was at the Hotel Triumph?” The younger of the two men asked.

“Oh, yes.” Edward nodded.

“He claims he found the woman already dead.”

“I’m sure he’s telling the truth.” Edward smiled.

The two men looked at each other. Finally, the older one sighed. “We’d like to send him back to you, Mr. Cage. But, we…”

“Of course,” Edward grinned. “You’ve got a murder to solve. It’s a very exhausting thing. Perhaps I could make a slight donation to your outfit. Though…if I did, who knows how it would be used. Maybe if I were to give you each some compensation for your troubles, your way would be made that much easier.”

“Yes, Sir.” The older man smiled.

“Come with me,” Edward gestured toward his study. There, he withdrew his cashbox from his desk. “I can’t be sure what’s in here. The last that I looked there were several hundred gold coins. I think, actually, I’ve put more in since last I counted. Would you two fine gentlemen like to distribute this contribution as you see fit?”

“We would,” the older man nodded, quickly taking the box.

“We’ll send your man back to you.” The other said.

“I apologize for the inconvenience.” Edward nodded in mock seriousness.

“Good evening, Mr. Cage.”

“Good evening, gentlemen.” Edward replied, showing them toward the door.

As Edward opened the door, he shivered when he saw Mr. Punch, Robert, Adrienne, Cecil and Marjani on the other side.

“We’ll leave you to your company,” One of the officers smiled.

“No.” Mr. Punch spoke up. “We need to speak to you blokes. You’re constables, yes?”

“In a manner of speaking.” One of them replied.

“What’s this about?” the other asked.

“The abduction of two children!” Cecil roared.

All of the color drained from Edward Cage’s face.

“Is that so?” One of the officers asked. “We don’t need to involve Mr. Cage in that.”

“Yes,” Robert nodded. “We do.”

“They’re both in this house, I’d wager.” Mr. Punch frowned.

The constables turned to look at Edward Cage.

“You’re welcome to look, if you like. Just let me check on my wife. I only hope the fever hasn’t taken her from me yet. Though…I’d hate to expose all of you to her illness.”

“We’ll take our chances, we will, you bloody ass.” Punch said, pushing his way into the house. He looked at the officers. “Well?”

“Just a moment, Sir.” One of the men shook his head. “Let’s discuss this first.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-379? If so, you can read them here. Come back on Monday, October 31, 2011 for Chapter 381 of Punch’s Cousin—and some truly spooky surprises!

No comments: