Thursday, December 2, 2010

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 111

Marjani walked slowly into the central hall of the rambling plantation house of Mr. Manuel Fontanals. The house smelled of tobacco, whiskey and men. The aroma made Marjani’s already blood-shot eyes sting. She squinted in the dim morning light, and saw, at the end of the hallway, the figure of a man in silhouette.


“This way, Marjani.” Mr. Fontanals said softly. “Come into the library.”

Marjani did as instructed.

Mr. Fontanals shut the door behind her and pointed to a chair in front of his long, dark desk. “Sit.”

Marjani sat stiffly, folding her hands in her lap.

“Can I offer you something to drink? Some brandy, perhaps?” Mr. Fontanals asked softly.

“No, Sir.” Marjani replied flatly.

Manuel sat behind the desk and looked at Marjani with his large, dark eyes. Marjani knew those eyes. They were the same wide orbs that had stared at her from the face of her granddaughter, Columbia, as she’d told the girl that her mother was dead.

“I know I speak for everyone here when I tell you how sorry I am that you’ve lost Nontle and Gilbert. You did everything that you could to make them comfortable at the end. You’re to be commended for your loving care.”

“I don’t want no commendation.” Marjani said. “I want my family to be alive again.”

“I know that you do.” Mr. Fontanals responded.

“Is that why you asked me in here?” Marjani asked. “To tell me you’re sorry?”

“That, and another reason.” Mr. Fontanals answered. “Have you told the child, yet?”

“Yes.” Marjani nodded stiffly. “I done tol’ her that her mama and her daddy are gone. But, it ain’t true. Is it? We both know that Kirabo…Gilbert as you call him…was not her daddy though she thinks he was. We both know who her daddy really is. And, we both know that he’s very much alive and doin’ quite well in his fine, fine house.”

“I’d advise you to think before you speak.” Mr. Fontanals said firmly.

“I always do, Sir.” Marjani spat. “I always think before I do anything. Do you?”

“Marjani, I don’t wish to be bad friends. I’ve asked you here to give you a gift. I had planned to release you at the stroke of the new year. However, I’m going to make an exception given your circumstances.”

“Release me?” Marjani smirked.

“Yes. As of this moment, you and your granddaughter are free. If you so choose, you may stay here and continue to work on my land, but since you have the opportunity, I suggest you take the child and leave here.”

“You just want me to go far away, don’t ya?” Marjani shook her head. “You don’t want no reminder of your lust walkin’ around here.”

“I’m being kind, Marjani.” Mr. Fontanals answered curtly.

“Is that what you call it?” Marjani frowned. “Well, Sir, whether it’s kindness or not, I will take Columbia and leave this place. I’ll leave it behind and never think of it again.”

She rose from her chair and walked toward the door.

“Do you need any…funds?” Mr. Fontanals asked. “I can give you a little something to help you start anew.”

“I don’t need nothin’ from you, Sir.” Marjani said without turning around. “I got folk who done care about me who already gave me all that I need to take care of me and my little Columbia.”

“Are you sure?” Mr. Fontanals asked.

“Very.” Marjani said, opening the door.

“Not even a word of thanks?” Mr. Fontanals laughed.

“My thanks is that I’m leavin’ here without slapping your face, Sir.” Marjani said as she walked out.

She didn’t pause, she walked from that house and never looked back. She walked up La Colline Cramoisie and paused at the yellow house with its comfortable gleaming towers—the home of Adrienne and Cecil. There, behind the house, she found Gros Chidi.

“Marjani,” Chidi said gently. “We done heard ‘bout Nontle. She’s with the angels now.”

“Thank you,” Marjani nodded. “Chidi, my girl and I are leavin’ Marionneaux. We’re free.”

“Where you gonna go?” Chidi asked.

“New Orleans.” Marjani answered firmly. “Do you know where Mr. Halifax went to?”

“They got the address in the house, honey.” Chidi smiled. “You gonna go to them? I know how you like Dr. Halifax and His Lordship.”

“That’s where I’m goin’.” Marjani nodded. “I’m goin’ to find the ‘Great Man.’”

Meanwhile, in New Orleans, Mr. Punch was seated in the long red dining room of Dr. Biamenti’s house on Royal Street. He sat at the deep mahogany table and drummed Julian’s fingers against its gleaming surface. Toby sat beneath the table at Mr. Punch’s feet and murmured to himself in a series of small grunts and growls—a habit he picked up from Mr. Punch. Across the table, the puppet smiled at Mr. Punch from the chair where he’d placed the figure.

“Don’t worry, dog Chum,” Mr. Punch said. “The others’ll be down for breakfast soon. Can’t come fast enough for me. I smell them sausages over there. Makin’ me awful hungry. But, we gotta wait for the others, cuz that’s what’s polite and that’s the way gentlemen behave, it is.”

Toby barked.

“You’re a gentleman, too, Chum.” Mr. Punch said. “Only if you’re a little gentleman in a fur coat. Still, we gotta behave ourselves so me master’ll be proud.”

Punch whooped with relief when the pocket doors slid open in Adrienne entered with Fuller in her arms.

“My goodness, dear Punch, but you’re up early today.” Adrienne said.

“Sure am!” Mr. Punch smiled. “Hungry, too.”

“You look quite handsome.” Adrienne smiled.

“Thank you, Lady Chum.” Mr. Punch grinned. “Only I didn’t do it meself. Naasir helped me with this fool collar and noose…errr…cravat.”

“Well done.” Adrienne nodded.

“So, where’re Cecil and me chum?” Mr. Punch asked.

“They’re on their way.” Adrienne smiled. “The last I saw of them, they were bickering over a shaving mirror. Brothers…”

“Have you got any brothers?” Mr. Punch asked.

“I have two brothers.” Adrienne nodded. “And a sister. Though I’ve not seen any of them since I left France.”

“They got babies?” Mr. Punch asked.

“I don’t really know, Mr. Punch.” Adrienne sighed. “My family wanted very little to do with me…at a point.”

“Ah.” Punch grunted. “Sorry.”

“I’ve made my peace with it.” Adrienne said softly.

“Seems to me that family oughta be nice to one another.” Mr. Punch continued. “Even if they don’t agree with what you’ve done. But, I understand. Me master’s mother and sister are… Well, I understand. His father were nice, he was.”

“That’s what I’ve heard.” Adrienne nodded.

Meridian hurried into the dining room through the door at the rear of the long room.

“Good mornin’, good mornin’!” Meridian chirped cheerfully. “We got some fine, fine vittles for you folk this mornin’. Your Lordship’s gonna be so pleased! Can we expect Dr. and Mr. Halifax down?”

“Yes.” Adrienne nodded. “Shortly.”

“And, look at young Mr. Halifax. Ain’t he a fine baby? I’ll bet he’ll be wantin’ some breakfast, too.”

“I believe he’s quite famished, Meridian.” Adrienne chuckled.

“You want I should take him in the back and give him some milk?” Meridian asked.

“No, but if you could mash some fruit, I’ll feed him myself.” Adrienne smiled appreciatively.

“I got just the thing. Some right fine apples. We’ll set him up right.” Meridian grinned and started back toward the kitchen. A knock at the front door interrupted her.

“Now, who could that be at this hour?” Meridian asked, wiping her hands on her apron. “Too early for deliveries. Excuse me, folks.”

Meridian walked briskly into the front hallway, closing the dining room doors behind her.

She returned several seconds later. The smile on her face had faded.

“Who was it, Meridian?” Adrienne asked.

“There’s a lady here for to see His Lordship.” Meridian said slowly. “Says she’s his mother.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-110? If so, you can read them here.

4 comments:

Dashwood said...

These poor folks scarcely can enjoy one peaceful hour without some nemesis appearing like some diabolical cuckoo clock.

I have to say that you gave every noble trait imaginable to Marjani who I think, someday, should have a story told about her exclusively.

Joseph Crisalli said...

You're right, Dashwood, they could use a break. I like the idea of a diabolical cuckoo clock.

Marjani's noble spirit lives on in her granddaughter, Columbia. We can see a lot of Marjani's influence in "The Cages of Marionneaux."

Thanks for reading!

Darcy said...

Marjani does indeed have a noble spirit. Her granddaughter Columbia is fortunate to have her as a role model. From the preview "The Cages of Marioneaux" looks to be another great read.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Perhaps Marjani can be a good role model for Iolanthe and the Duchess. Then, again, some people are beyond help. Thanks, Darcy!