Saturday, December 4, 2010

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 113

Well, Doctor?” The Duchess of Fallbridge smirked. “What is your recommendation?”


“Lord Fallbridge would not benefit from being held captive in an asylum.” Robert spat. “How could you suggest such a thing for your own son? Have you any idea how those poor souls are treated? Is that what you’d want your son to endure?” Robert looked quickly at Cecil. They each knew they were both thinking of their own mother at that moment.

“I wish for my son to not be a lunatic!” The Duchess answered. “Since that is not a possibility, my next wish is to see that he’s comfortable and out of the way. Or, at least comfortably out of the way.”

“Listen, I ain’t no lunatic.” Mr. Punch snapped, dropping the pretense, of speaking like Julian entirely.

“Your argument leaves something to be desired,” Pauline laughed.

“Chum,” Mr. Punch said desperately, “Don’t let her take me to some awful place.”

“I won’t, my dear boy.” Robert said firmly.

“She’d have to get through both of us before that ever happened, and it’s not likely that she could.” Cecil added.

“All three of us,” Adrienne rose to stand next to her men.

“And a slew of other people—all of whom love your son and wish to protect him.” Robert smiled.

“Protect him from me?” The Duchess feigned a look of hurt. “From his own mother?”

“You’re no mother.” Adrienne shouted. “You’re some kind of monster.”

“A dragon,” Punch mumbled to himself.

Adrienne continued. “Un certain genre de monstre dans une belle robe. Votre parures n'est pas vous faire toute moins horrible. C'est les femmes comme vous qui donnent la maternité une fausseté. Vous êtes une honte pour le mot ‘mère.’”

“Tranquille, prostituée. Vous ne pensez pas je sais que l'oms et ce que vous êtes! Vous avez passé votre vie sur le dos, laissant hommes vous toucher. Je ne vais pas vous laisser me juger!” Pauline growled.

“She’s been with Iolanthe.” Cecil grunted. “I knew it. That woman has her claws in everything.”

“Who I’ve seen is none of your concern, sculptor!” Pauline smiled.

“Then you know what’s become of your daughter,” Mr. Punch said. “Did she tell you that her child—that she sold her child? Yes, Duchess, there’s a babe with Fallbridge blood in his veins being raised by another family, there is. You come here with your wickedness lookin’ to destroy all what you see, when your time might be better spent tryin’ to help your favorite child and her kin.”

“Leave us.” Pauline said sharply. “Leave me with my son. I wish to speak with him—as best as I can.”

“We have no intention of leaving this man alone with you.” Robert answered, putting his arm around Julian’s shoulders.

“It’s no matter, Chum.” Mr. Punch shook Julian’s head. “If she wants me alone, she’ll find a way to get to me.”

“No,” Robert answered. “I won’t have it.”

“My son is not averse to being alone with his mother,” Pauline grinned. “Let me speak with him privately. What I have to say to him is not for the likes of you to hear.”

“It’ll be fine,” Mr. Punch whispered to Robert. “I can handle meself.”

“Stop talking that way!” The Duchess shouted.

“I’ll talk any way I like,” Mr. Punch said. “If I talk this way, you’re the reason.”

Robert looked to Cecil and Adrienne who stared back at him helplessly. He took a deep breath. “We will not leave His Lordship alone with you.”

“Chum…”

“No,” Robert said gently.

“Very well…” The Duchess sighed. “Have your way. I wish to speak with my son about his inheritance. I shall do it in front of you if I must…”

At that very moment, further down Royal Street, Ulrika Rittenhouse awoke in a bed at Edward Cage’s city house. She rolled over and looked at Arthur who slumbered next to her—drooling on the pillow.

She clutched his bare shoulder in her hand and dug her fingernails into his flesh. He awoke with a groan.

“My head…my head aches.” Arthur moaned.

“That’s good, my dear.” Ulrika hissed.

“Where’s Barbara?”

“Probably about to meet her first caller of the day.” Ulrika laughed. “You’re better off with me.”

“I hate you.” Arthur sat up, looking around the room.

“I know.” Ulrika smiled. “Isn’t it delicious, really?”

“Give me the diamond and let me find my wife.” Arthur coughed.

“Your wife?” Ulrika sighed. “Suddenly, you’ve become protective and husbandly. How sweet.”

“What have you given us? What is that awful stuff you made us eat?”

“Just one more way to ensure that you’re mine, Arthur, dear.” Ulrika chuckled.

“I’m not yours.” Arthur got out of the bed, looking for his clothes.

“You are. As long as I want you, you are.” Ulrika reached for Arthur’s arm. “I get everything that I want.”

“Not this time, Pet.” Arthur said, pushing Ulrika backward onto the bed. He put on his pants and began to rummage through Ulrika’s baggage.

“You won’t find the diamond there.” Ulrika laughed.

“Where is it?” Arthur demanded.

“Keep your voice down, you fool!” Ulrika spat.

“Where’s the bloody diamond?” Arthur demanded again.

“It shall be yours.” Ulrika grinned. “You just need to complete two little tasks for me first…”



Did you miss Chapters 1-112? If so, you can read them here. Come back on Monday for Chapter 114 of Punch’s Cousin.

No comments: