Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 38

You’re my new valet?” Julian said, cocking his head to one side.


“Under whose authority?” Robert asked.

“Under the authority of the universe, Dr. Halifax.” Naasir smiled.

Julian nodded at Robert who shut the door of the cabin.

“Explain, please.” Julian responded.

“Sir, you need a valet. I can serve you.” Naasir answered.

“How do you know that Lord Fallbridge needs a valet?” Robert asked, coughing a bit.

“Dr. Halifax,” Naasir laughed a deep, rich laugh. “Do you not think that the whole of the ship is aflame with the tale of the missing footman?”

Robert and Julian glanced at one another quickly.

“Do you know anything about Arthur’s disappearance?” Robert asked.

Naasir grinned. “Just that it was preordained, Sir.” Naasir’s mind flooded with the memory of the night on the ship’s deck when he had encountered Mr. Punch and Arthur. Yet, he said nothing of it.

“You talk in riddles,” Robert sputtered.

“Robert, do sit, please.” Julian gently said to his friend. Robert frowned, but did as instructed.

“Naasir,” Julian began. “Your offer is most generous…”

“Not at all, Your Lordship,” Naasir shook his head. “If you’ll pardon my interrupting you.”

Julian nodded.

“You see, Lord Fallbridge. It is destiny that brings us together. I’ve heard of your coming. You, Sir, are The Great Man of the Rocks.”

“So you’ve mentioned.” Julian raised his eyebrows.

“And, ever since I was a little boy,” Naasir continued, his accent thick with the flavor of lands that Julian never dreamed of, “I was told that it was my fate to be in league with you.”

“Is that so?” Julian asked.

“Here now, what is all this nonsense?” Robert asked angrily.

“Pardon me, Dr. Halifax,” Naasir replied pleasantly, “it isn’t nonsense at all. I know Lord Fallbridge. As I said, I know he is two men in one. One soft, one hard. It is spoken of in the legend. And, so, I find it to be true.”

Robert began to speak, but Julian raised his hand.

“What do you know of…” Julian struggled for the right words, “my other side?”

“I know he is called Mr. Punch and he is a hollow man who is full. I know you are called Lord Fallbridge and you are a full man who is hollow. There’s no need for it to be complicated. It is what you are, and, in as much, it is beautiful.”

“Have you ever had dealings with Mr. Punch?” Robert asked nervously.

“I have had dealings with all men.” Naasir laughed.

Julian smiled.

“You will do me a great turn by allowing me to be your valet. We are about to embark into a land where people like me are held in shackles. My freedom will die. If I am in service to a nobleman from England, my freedom will not be questioned. In turn, I will offer you my knowledge of this land, her people and her ways. Do you know what my name means?”

“No.” Julian shook his head.

“Naasir means ‘Defender’ in my language.” The man smiled.

“Two defenders.” Julian glanced at Robert.

“Have you any experience as a valet?” Robert asked.

“I have been in service for twenty years. Since I was a boy of fourteen. I worked to assist another great man from your country. In Egypt, I served Sir Louis Alderton, deceased—the explorer, the finder of many beautiful things.”

“I know him.” Julian said. He looked to Robert. “He was a friend of Father’s. They worked together at The British Museum. He passed away last year.”

“And now I am in need of a place.” Naasir smiled. “I have references.” He produced a cream-colored envelope from his pocket it and placed it on the table.

“What have you been doing since Sir Louis passed?” Robert asked.

“Waiting for the Great Man of the Rocks.” Naasir answered honestly.

Robert frowned. “And what brings you to New Orleans? And, don’t say, ‘destiny.’”

“Well, Sir, it is destiny. However, also, I come to see my family. My eldest brother, Cephas, he lives in a town called Marionneaux. He was taken from our land and put into service against his will. He toils on a plantation. He has taken a young wife. They call her ‘Hannah.’”

“My brother lives in Marionneaux as well.” Robert said softly.

“Then, our journeys coincide.” Naasir nodded. “As predicted.”

“You’re awfully well-spoken.” Robert couldn’t help but smile.

“I was taught well by Sir Louis.” Naasir beamed proudly.

“Well, as far as I’m concerned, you’re hired.” Julian said finally. “Though what Mother will say about it is beyond me.”

“The Duchess need not be concerned about what her grown son does.” Naasir answered plainly.

“You obviously haven’t met Her Grace.” Julian chuckled.

“Thank you for the opportunity, Your Lordship.” Naasir bowed his head. “We will help one another. First, I shall bring some food for you both. I know what you English gentlemen like to eat.”

“We haven’t discussed wages,” Julian said quickly.

“I have no worries about that.” Naasir smiled. “Now, if you’ll pardon me.” With that, he exited the cabin.

Robert shook his head.

“You don’t approve?” Julian asked.

“I’m not certain.” Robert breathed deeply, coughing a bit as he exhaled. “This is, after all, the very same man who handed you a voodoo token. Yet, you suddenly trust him? It took you weeks to trust me.”

“Our situation is different. Wouldn’t you say?” Julian asked.

Robert chuckled. “Slightly.” He sighed. “Well, he’s a far sight better than Arthur, I’ll say that.”

“More than that,” Julian grinned. “I suspect he’ll offer us a great deal of assistance when we dock tomorrow.”

“I suspect so.” Robert acquiesced. “I just wonder what Mr. Punch will have to say about it.”

“I wonder.” Julian sat on the bed.

Somewhere, deep within Julian, Mr. Punch was aware of the entire scene. If he had a head, he would have shaken it. “Quiet, I’ve been all these days.” Punch mumbled to himself. “And, what do they do? Take on that man. He calls himself a defender? Only, he knows what I done. He were there. Valets are a dangerous lot. Then, again, he did look out for me master. Tellin’ me to close me eyes so Julian wouldn’t see what I done. Still, he wants watching. I should introduce me-self and let him know just what Mr. Punch can do.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-37? If so, you can read them here.

6 comments:

Dashwood said...

How exciting! What an interesting little party is about to go forward in a new land. It would be nice to know whether old Arthur were really gone or if he swam to shore or slipped off the ship like a rat at the last docking.

Darcy said...

The mystery deepens. Who can Julian trust? I think everyone has their own agenda.I hope they'll all be true to Julian. Nassir, Robert, and Punch are all Julian's Defenders-or are they? Wow!

Joseph Crisalli said...

Hi Dashwood. It is a peculiar little trio, isn't it? As for Arthur, we will soon find out exactly what happened to him.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Hello Darcy! Thanks for coming back. You're right, they do all have their own agenda. Mr. Punch, especially. I wonder how he will take to their new companion. : )

Fran said...

I like the new guy. I loved, loved, loved when Punch had Arthur over the railing! Good stuff, mister. What's wrong with Robert? He's not gonna die is he? I'm telling you, this is addictive stuff.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Thanks, Fran. I like Naasir, too. But, I'm not going to answer your other questions. : ) You'll just have to come back. Truly, I'm glad that you do.