Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square, Chapter 189


Chapter 189
Obligation 

Gamilla!” Mr. Punch gasped when he saw the woman’s swollen face. “What’s happened?”

“Ain’t nothin’, Your Grace.” Gamilla replied softly.

“Johnny Donnan is what happened.” Charles answered for the girl. “He and ‘Ellen’ jumped us in the hallway.”

“I’d pleased with them to be gentle with you.” Lennie added emotionally.

“You were there?” Robert asked, taking Punch by the arm and leading him out of the chamber where the rest of the staff remained with Gerard, Colin and Dog Toby.

“I was.” Lennie sighed. “I was waiting in Gamilla’s room. I thought that if I stayed, they’d be less inclined to do harm to Charles and Gamilla. Mr. Donnan had declared that he intended to avenge Finlay’s death. Since I’d still been trying to keep my secret, I had no choice but to go along.”

“How’d Gamilla get hurt, then?” Punch asked.

“Johnny was swinging for me, but I ducked. He hit Gamilla instead.” Charles answered.

“That’s a nasty bruise, and I’m afraid it’ll be even worse in the morning,” Robert reached forward and gently touched Gamilla’s face. “Have you pain in your jaw? What of any of your teeth?”

“No.” Gamilla shook her head. “Honestly, Sir, it’s all right.”

“Where are Johnny and ‘Ellen’ now?” Robert asked.

“They’re in my room, Sir.” Gamilla replied. “Mr. Donnan done insisted that we leave them alone.”

“Why?” Punch asked. “I don’t understand, I don’t. They tackled ya both, and then, let ya go. And, let Lennie go, too?”

“He knows.” Lennie spoke up.

“Knows?” Punch squinted.

“That I’m really Ellen Barrett.” Lennie replied. “That the girl who told him she was his daughter is really Orpha Polk. He knows he’s been deceived. And, he’s furious.”

“Understandably so.” Robert clucked his tongue. “How did he react to you? Was he violent? Will he come for you next?”

“I don’t think so.” Lennie answered. “I was surprised, but he seemed to soften toward me. Even his attitude toward Gamilla and Charles was different. When he asked us to leave, he was almost polite.”

“I don’t think the man knows the meaning of the word.” Charles snapped.

“So, he wanted to be left with…Ellen or Orpha or whatever she’s called, did he?” Punch asked.

Lennie nodded.

“What’s he aim to do?” Punch continued.

“I can’t be sure.” Lennie shook her head.

“Looked to me as if he would kill her.” Charles stated dryly.

“We can’t have that.” Mr. Punch sighed.

“Can’t we, Your Grace?” Charles raised his eyebrows. “We’re free of Finlay. Why not this one, too?”

“Cause, ain’t right. Can’t let it happen…” Mr. Punch shook his head. “I were wrong when I struck her with murder in me heart. Gamilla were right, she was. She thought Finlay should live—live with what he done and suffer for it. Same for this woman, too. Ain’t it?”

“Sir, I think we should just leave them to themselves and let them eat one ‘nother alive. It’s nature, Your Grace.” Charles argued. “It’s the way animals like them work.”

“No, Charles.” Punch shook his head. “Not animals. Only humans have such deceit and treachery. Come on, Chum. Let’s go intervene. Yes?”

“Dear Punch…” Robert sighed.

“What is it, Chum?”

“I’m inclined to agree with Charles. Perhaps we should let them sort this out on their own.” Robert said. “I…well, maybe it doesn’t concern us.”

“But, it does. Chum, this is our house. It’s because of me that all what’s happened has happened.”

“Sir,” Charles spoke next, “it’s not because of you. You didn’t wish for this. These people were against you, meant to do you harm.”

“Charles is correct. You have no obligation. Look what’s happened to not only the two of us, but all of those whom we hold in high regard. I think we should let the pieces fall where they may.” Robert responded.

“Really?” Mr. Punch’s eyes widened. He looked to his newfound sister. “Lennie, what do you think?”

“Well, Your Grace.” Lennie answered thoughtfully. “We’ve all lost quite a lot at the hands of Orpha and her people.”

“Yes. And, don’t we, as human people, have a responsibility to be better than they?” Punch asked earnestly.

“Typically, yes.” Lennie replied. “But, in this case…well, I don’t think we do.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-188 of Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square? If so, you can read them here. Come back tomorrow for Chapter 190.


No comments: