Friday, November 16, 2012

Print of the Day: The Fun & Frolic Lancers,




Here we see the sheet music cover for “Fun and Frolic Lancers” which was written by Warwick Williams (1846-unknown), and published by Francis Bros & Day. The cover shows a gaggle of circus folk and characters engaged in circus-type hi-jinks. I suppose one could call it “fun and frolic.”

This chromolithograph cover dates to the 1880s and is the work of the expert lithographer Alfred Concanen (1835-1886). At some point, it was backed with card.

It reads at the top:

INTRODUCING

TING, TING, THAT'S HOW THE BELL GOES - CLARA WIL YOU COME OUT TO-NIGHT - I KISSED HER UNDER
THE PARLOR STAIRS - TWO HUNDRED YEARS AGO - OH JOHNNY DON'T YOU GO TO SEA - DEAR ME - I'LL MEET HER
WHEN THE SUN GOES DOWN - TAKING OUT THE BABY - IT'S ALL UP WITH POOR TOMMY NOW - &c. &c. 



1 comment:

Dashwood said...

I'm afraid I read the bit following "Introducing" as a sentence. Kind of puzzled me. Don't know why I didn't realize they were titles but I highly recommend that you read it as a sentence. It's really very much fun.