Monday, November 12, 2012

Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square, Chapter 188



Chapter 188
Workhouse Girl 



What did ya just say to me?” Johnny growled.

“Don’t listen to her, Father!” Ellen snapped. “She’s—she’s weak-minded. She doesn’t know what she’s saying.”

“Quiet, you.” Johnny grumbled. “I’m talkin’ to the other lass. What did you just say to me?”

“I…” Lennie hung her head.

Charles rushed to Gamilla’s side and helped her to sit up. “Are you all right, Gamilla.” He asked.

Gamilla nodded. “Ain’t the first time I done been hit.”

“That’s enough!” Johnny barked over his shoulder at Charles and Gamilla. “This girl is tryin’ to tell me something. Who are ya?”

Lennie coughed.

“She’s a maid! A lowly maid!” Ellen yowled.

“Stop it, lass, or you’ll feel the back of my hand!” Johnny bellowed. His voice softened slightly. “Go on, lass. Tell me.”

Lennie looked to Charles and Gamilla.

“Tell him, Miss.” Gamilla said softly, rubbing her bruised face.

“I am told I am the daughter of the Duchess of Fallbridge and one Johnny Donnan.” Lennie said flatly.

Johnny narrowed his eyes. “Who told you this?”

“My…the man whom I thought my father for my entire life. When he died, I was lost. I didn’t want another father. I didn’t want to be the daughter of the Duchess of Fallbridge. I just wanted to disappear. I…”

“Don’t listen!” Ellen howled.

“Tell me more, Lass.” Johnny grunted.

“Then…my maid, my friend, Orpha. She—she told me that she wanted to find employment as a governess and, well, she couldn’t because she was a workhouse girl and not someone with a good family background. She suggested that she could use my name and that if she did, I could take hers and finally get the peace that I craved. I see now that I was wrong. I…”

Johnny turned to Ellen. “What’s your name?”

“Ellen Barrett.” Ellen responded.

“What’s your name?” Johnny shouted.

Ellen’s face froze in a look of defiance.

“Tell me!” Johnny demanded.

“Fine! I’m Orpha Polk.”

“You—you lied to me. Did Finlay know?”

“Later, Sir, yes, he did.” Gamilla spoke up.

“I see.” Johnny nodded.

“He did not have a chance to tell you, Mr. Donnan.” Lennie added. “He only found out a few hours ago.”

“And, now, he’s dead.” Johnny mumbled. He looked to “Ellen.” “Why’d ya do it, then?”

“Why do you think?” Ellen laughed. “I was reared in the workhouse. I worked as a maid. Could I miss a chance to be the sister of the Duke of Fallbridge? Mad as he is, he’s got connections to the Crown and he’s got most of the gold in London. He’s kind and simple and would have made me quite comfortable. I just had to get to him.” She shrugged. “That, actually, was rather enjoyable. I made the acquaintance of many a fine gentleman.”

“No doubt.” Charles whispered to Gamilla.

Johnny clenched his fists.

“Charles and Gamilla have proven to be very kind to me,” Lennie said quickly. “They’re very loyal, kind people and, without them, I’d still be imprisoned by this imposter. All of the Duke’s staff have treated me with great respect. And, truly, Sir, the Duke and his companion are the two kindest, most gentle men I’ve ever known. I’m ashamed of myself for mistrusting the Duke before I ever knew him. I’d be proud to think him my half-brother, and I’m grateful for the protection and sweetness all in this house have shown me. Charles and Gamilla aren’t responsible for Finlay’s death. I never knew the young man, but his passing saddens me, too. He was ill-used by the world, I think. In many ways, in many ways, he was a victim, too. But, all Gamilla wished to do was to show him the error of his ways so that he might live in a way which proved to be healthful, helpful and good.”

Johnny’s eyes became moist. “I’m sure that…I…” He grunted and swallowed. “Charles, I ain’t got a right to ask this, but will ya please take my daughter to her brother and the doctor. You and Gamilla both, please. Leave me here with Orpha Polk.”

“You’re choosing the wrong path.” Ellen barked.

“I’m choosin’ me kin for once!” Johnny hollered.

Charles helped Gamilla to her feet.

“Tell the Duke that I wish to speak with him when I’m done here.” Johnny added.

“Yes.” Charles nodded.

“Perhaps I should stay.” Lennie suggested.

“No, lass.” Johnny shook his head.

“But…”

“Ain’t it queer?” Johnny sighed. “For all this girl done to ya, you still want to see her safe. You remind me of my own ma. She’d a been your grandma.”

Lennie nodded.

“This girl don’t deserve your sympathy.” Johnny shook his head again. “Now, go to the Duke.”

“Yes, Miss.” Charles interjected.

“You’ve not heard the last of me,” “Ellen” snarled.

“Aye, she has, girl.” Johnny smiled. “She has.”





Did you miss Chapters 1-187? If so, you can read them here. Come back tomorrow for Chapter 189 of Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square. 


No comments: