Monday, October 29, 2012

Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square, Chapter 176


Chapter 176 

Them Things 


First,” Finlay began. “You gotta untie me, lass. Please.”

“No.” Gamilla said.

“This floor is cold and I’m already shiverin’ with fear.”

“You said you’d talk. Now talk.”

“Just untie me, Gamilla.” Finlay pleaded. “What could happen?”

“Many things.” Gamilla frowned.

“I can’t get out. I saw ya lock the door.”

“Doesn’t mean you can’t do to me what you done to Mrs. North.”

“That wasn’t only me, it was Ellen…or whatever her name is.”

“Who choked the life from her?” Gamilla asked. “Which pair of hands too her breath from her body.”

Finlay grunted.

“She was an old woman.” Gamilla continues. “She couldn’t fight ya. Was that fair?”

Finlay twitched.

“Why kill the woman? What harm she done ya?”

“She knew things. Ellen was concerned that…”

“So, Ellen was concerned, was she? Concerned the woman would continue to loyal to the master?”

“Yes.”

“Maybe tell him things you didn’t want him to know yet.”

“Yes.”

“So, that was worth killin’ her?”

“I wasn’t alone.”

“Don’t make it not murder.”

Finlay inhaled.

“Which of you done it?”

Finlay was silent.

“You swore you’d talk.” Gamilla shook her head. “You said you’d do anythin’ I wanted. You done jus’ said that. I heard ya.”

“Aye, but it’s very complicated, Gamilla. It ain’t just…”

“Oh, I see.” Gamilla interrupted. “You’re gonna talk, but you’re gonna say nothin’. I see. More of your deception.”

Gamilla rose to her knees and grabbed the earthenware vessel from the floor. She leaned forward and in one quick motion removed the cork from the bottle with one hand and, with the other, forced Finlay’s head to the side.

“No!” Finlay yowled.

Gamilla pressed on his chin, and despite his struggling, she managed to hold his head still.

Finlay yelped as he felt the liquid pour into his ear. It was thick and cold.

“No, please!”

“You done had your chance,” Gamilla growled. She removed, from her apron, a small bit of cotton wool which she shoved into his ear. Quickly, she released the pressure on Finlay’s chin and, sat back down.

“What is that?” Finlay screamed. “I can feel it.”

“I done tol’ ya. It’s a mixture my mama taught me.”

“I can feel it in my head.”

“Well, that’s where you’d feel it.” Gamilla shrugged. “You coulda avoided it. But, you was a weasel. Now, you’ll have to answer the question that the potion asks ya.”

“I can feel them—the questions.”

“Feels warmer now, don’t it.” Gamilla smiled. “Soon, it’ll be hot.”

“What?” Finlay moaned.

“Hot, it’ll be hot. You’’ll feel it bunin’ ya. Burnin’ ya with questions.”

Finlay howled.

“I don’t know how to answer!” He screamed.

“Try the truth.”

“I…”

“What are you scared of, Finlay. You got no tie to that woman. She ain’t your sister. Or, is it that she done promised ya somethin’ and, sister or no, you fear if you betray her you won’t get it?”

Finlay moaned again.

“Is it wealth?” Gamilla asked. “Or has she promised to do, or not do, something to protect ya?”

“I…ohhhh…it’s burning!”

“And, still, you won’t talk?” Gamilla clucked her tongue. “You tol’ me you would.”

“Take it out of me!” Finlay bellowed.

“No.” Gamilla shook her head. “In fact…” Again she rose to her knees. This time, she grabbed the pouch from the floor. She pulled the top open with her teeth.

“What’s that?” Finlay screamed.

“More questions, Finlay Donnan.” Gamilla said plainly.

Finlay clenched his eyes hit.

“Don’t matter, Finlay.” Gamilla laughed. “Close your eyes. It don’t gotta go in your eyes.”

He pinched his lips together.

“Don’t gotta go in your mouth neither.” Gamilla shrugged.

She pressed the open end of the pouch against his nose. “You gotta breath sometime.”

Finlay opened his eyes.

Swiftly, Gamilla raised the pouch and sprinkled the white powder all over Finlay’s face.

“My eyes!” He sputtered and coughed as the powder went into his eyes and into his mouth. When he inhaled, he could feel the powder in his nose, and, then, in his lungs.

“Like I said, you had your chance.” Gamilla sighed, sitting down again.

“I’ll talk, I’ll talk. I’ll tell you everything!” Finlay coughed.

“I done hard that before.” Gamilla shook her head. “Now, you just lie there and feel the questions risin’ up in ya. Think real hard ‘bout what you’re gonna tell me cuz them things know if you’re lying.”

“What are they?”

“Finlay,” Gamilla laughed. “You’d never believe me.”

Gamilla sighed. She’d only poured a little oil in his ear and sprinkled his face with flour. The worst he’d get from either was a mild ear infection and a slight cough. However, he’d carry the memory of what he was feeling forever, and, as long as he believed that she’d filled his body with some foreign magic, she knew he’d forever be changed. She could already see a difference in the man’s face as he genuinely tried to piece together the strange truth so that he could give her an honest account of all that he and Ellen had done and why.

“Finlay…” Gamilla said after a few moments. “Now that them things are inside ya, they’re always gonna be inside ya. You’re different now. You’ll never be the man you were.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-175 of Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square? If so, you can read them here. Come back tomorrow for Chapter 177.



No comments: