Thursday, December 1, 2011

Punch’s Cousin, Chapter 404

I know a place,” Mama Routhe smiled after Punch and Marjani explained their situation to her. “It’s a safe place. Don’t know why I didn’t think of it sooner.”


“What kind o’ place?” Mr. Punch asked, raising his eyebrows.

“Many years ago, when Mr. Routhe and me was just comin’ to New Orleans—free for the first time…well, as free as we could be after runnin’ from Mr. Fontanals place in Marionneaux. That’s where we knew Marjani from.”

“Yes, but, what kind of place?” Punch asked again, becoming exasperated.

“When we first come here, we don’t know nothin’ ‘bout how we gonna be treated here. Sure, we was freed by our master, but what would the folk in New Orleans say? You gotta understand, all we wanted was a little dress shop and a place for to raise our babies…”

“What kind of place?” Punch repeated.

“Hold on there,” Mama Routhe frowned. “So, we went to a place where we was told we’d be safe. It’s a place where ain’t no one gonna find ya. It’s a place where folk wait ‘til they know they can come out and live free. Ain’t a pretty place. But, it’s warm and ain’t no one gonna find you.”

“And?” Mr. Punch snorted.

“Well, I figure, it’d be a good place for to hide the baby.”

“Coo! Where is this place, then?”

“Oh, I can’t tell ya.”

“Bugger!” Punch snapped. “Then, why take all this time to tell me ‘bout it?”

“It’s jus’ that no white man’s gonna be able to get in there.”

“Then, Marjani…maybe she can take the child there and wait.”

“No, Sir, I ain’t waitin’ nowhere. If you’re gonna go on some fool’s journey, I’m goin’ with ya. With respect, Sir.” Marjani shook her head.

Punch frowned.

“Well, then, we just lost time, didn’t we?” Mr. Punch glowered.

“I can take the boy there and wait. I’ll bring the boy to the docks in the mornin’ jus’ in time for all of ya to meet there and go on your way.” Mama Routhe smiled.

“You’d do that for us?” Mr. Punch asked.

“Sure, I would.” Mama Routhe nodded.

“I don’t know what to say here, I don’t.” Punch shrugged. “You’re awful kind, you are.”

“Ain’t nothin’.” Mama Routhe waved her hand. “Now, gimme the boy and I’ll go.”

“You can trust her, Sir.” Marjani nodded.

“Thank you, Mrs. Routhe.” Mr. Punch replied humbly.

“Gotta look after the good folk or the bad ones will always beat us.” Mama Routhe grinned. “Now, go on, fin’ your kin. We’ll see you at sun-up.”

After saying their goodbyes, Marjani and Mr. Punch departed.

“You gotta be careful, Mr. Punch.” Marjani said softly and seriously. “The night is filled with a lot of folk aimin’ for to hurt us.”

“I know.” Mr. Punch sighed.

“Whatta we do first?” Marjani asked.

“We gotta find Cecil and Adrienne and tell ‘em ‘bout Ulrika. Then, we gotta think like that beastly woman, we do, and figure out where she’s gone.”

“We best be quick ‘bout it.” Marjani took a deep breath.

“Sure do.” Mr. Punch mumbled.

With that they hurried into the night.

Had they lingered for a few moments more, they’d have seen an unsettling sight as Odo staggered drunkenly through the shadows.

“Tol’ ‘em I didn’t kill that ol’ bitch.” Odo slurred. “Odo ain’t no killer. I hope they feel…” He stumbled. “I hope they feel like…” He stopped to pick up a coin he found on the banquette. “Finally some luck for ol’ Odo. Them white men always blamin’ my folk. But, I made ‘em see I’m innocent. Damn waste of a night…” Odo slumped down in the alley, hidden in the shadows except for the yellow of his eyes which, for as low to the ground as he was, could have easily been mistaken for those of a cat.

“Cold.” Odo sniffed. “But, better than Mr. Cage’s fists. All this fuss for a baby…”

Odo stopped his inebriated ramble when he heard a door creak open. It was then that he spied Mama Routhe, cloaked in a black shawl, carrying a very familiar white baby.

“Don’t that beat all?” Odo thought to himself as he watched Mama carry the child through the darkness. “Maybe it’s gonna be Odo’s a hero after all.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-402? If so, you can read them here.

No comments: