Saturday, July 2, 2011

Reminder: New Posts Will Continue on Tuesday

In celebration of July 4th, Bertie and I will be taking a hiatus from our daily writing. New posts will continue on Tuesday, July 5th. Until then, there are a few thousand other posts to read here at Stalking the Belle Époque, plus 285 chapters of Punch’s Cousin.


We’ve got some new and exciting things coming next week that I can’t wait to share with you. So, here’s wishing all of our friends in the U.S. a very happy Independence Day, and to all of our friends in the U.K., sorry about that whole Revolution kerfuffle, but, now it’s really just a day to eat grilled meats and get sun-burnt.



Image: Toile, Furnishing Fabric, Plate-printed Linen and Cotton showing scenes from the American Revolution including George Washington, English, 1780-1790, The Victoria & Albert Museum.

(of course I would use an English textile as the image for my Fourth of July message.)

1 comment:

Doni said...

I've always wondered what the thought was behind toile. It doesn't seem very French, as it's only one (two) colors, in a style that reminds me of how plates are made for paper money. I suppose I'll have to look up the derivation of the word if you are on hiatus!

You deserve a break child...I hope it's a relaxing, and enjoyable Independence Day for you.

I suppose they won't be canceling your fireworks like they are down here. Lake Travis is looking more and more like the Colorado River did before it was dammed.

Maybe while you're relaxing, you could do a little rain dance?