Saturday, November 6, 2010

At the Music Hall: Daddy Wouldn’t Buy Me a Bow Wow, 1892

Vesta Victoria
I love my little cat, I do
With soft black silky hair
It comes with me each day to school
And sits upon the chair
When teacher says "why do you bring
That little pet of yours?"
I tell her that I bring my cat
Along with me because

Daddy wouldn't buy me a bow-wow! bow wow!
Daddy wouldn't buy me a bow-wow! bow wow!
I've got a little cat
And I'm very fond of that
But I'd rather have a bow-wow
Wow, wow, wow, wow

Written in 1892 by celebrated songwriter, Joseph Tabrar, Daddy Wouldn’t Buy Me a Bow Wow was penned specifically for music hall singer Vesta Victoria. With her comic delivery and deadpan style, the song made Vesta Victoria a tremendous star who soon became the highest paid performer in vaudeville.

The song made its debut in The Unites States in 1895 as recorded by Silas Leachman. Painter Toulouse-Lautrec’s portrait of May Belfort depicts the actress performing this song. It also was featured in the 1934 film Evergreen as sung by Jessie Matthews. Ever-popular, the tune even popped up in 1980, sung by Helen Mirren and Peter Sellers in the film The Evil Plot of Dr. Fu Manchu.

No comments: