Monday, March 26, 2012

Punch’s Cousin, Chapter 497

 More coffee, darling?”  Cecil asked his wife, Adrienne, as they both sat at the large table in front of the fire in Marie Laveau’s front parlor.

“No.”  Adrienne shook her head. “I must confess, I’ve had too much as it is.”

“As have I.”  Cecil smiled.  “I don’t think I’ve consumed as much coffee in my entire life as I have over the last two nights.”

“Well, my dear, Marie doesn’t have any tea in the house.”  Adrienne chuckled.  “You must adapt.”

“I don’t think anyone could accuse either of us of not being adaptable.”

“True.”  Adrienne sighed.  “Imagine it, my dear.  Just a few weeks ago, you came into Fuller’s nursery with a letter in your hand and told me that we were to receive a visit from your brother the doctor.”

“And, now, here we are, sitting in front of Marie Laveau’s hearth.”  Cecil laughed.

“This was not the conclusion I expected when you announced that Robert was coming from England for a few weeks.”  Adrienne grinned.

“I should have known.”  Cecil shrugged dramatically.  “Robert has never done anything simply.”

“Still, I’m glad of it.”  Adrienne sighed.

“As am I.”  Cecil nodded.  “I confess, I had my doubts when Robert showed up with His Grace.”

“Doubts?” 

“Yes, dear.”  Cecil answered uncomfortably.  “I can’t say  that I approved.”

“Because of Mr. Punch?  How do I mean it?  Because the Duke’s mind works differently?”  Adrienne asked.

“That--and other reasons.”  Cecil nodded. 

“Oh,”  Adrienne responded.  “I see.”

“Well, can you blame me?”  Cecil raised his eyebrows.  “He’s my only brother!  I’m protective.”

“Of course you are.”  Adrienne patted her husband’s hand.  “Robert is all you have left of your family.”

“You and Fuller are my family,”  Cecil winked.

“And, now, Robert has a family of his own.”  Adrienne said sweetly.

“Perhaps not the family I’d initially wished for him.”  Cecil sniffed. “But, still, the best possible family.  And, he’s so happy.”

“So, all of this torture was worth it,”  Adrienne squeezed Cecil’s hand.

“Yes.  I would say so.”  Cecil nodded slowly.  “I wouldn’t trade any of it.  Not only has it given my brother the life he’s always wanted, but it’s given us a cousin for Fuller, a new brother for you,”  He paused and added, “and me.”

“And it’s made us closer to one another.”  Adrienne smiled.

“Yes, it has.”

“We have endured so much.”  Adrienne shook her head, “Not just this time, but since we’ve met.  Had it not been for you, I’d still be trapped at Iolanthe’s…”

“Let’s not dwell on it.”  Cecil shook his head.

“But, it’s true.”  Adrienne exclaimed.  “I am not saddened by it.  I am proud.  You are a hero to me.  You gave me a new life.  Now I am a wife and a mother, mistress of a fine home.  We are strong and I have nothing but the utmost pride in my family.  All of this trouble has only reminded me of it.”

“I’m glad of that.”  Cecil rose, putting his hands on his wife’s shoulders.  “Darling, let’s be honest.”

“Aren’t we always?”

“Well, yes.  Perhaps I misspoke.  We have not been dishonest, but  I don’t think we’ve considered what we were saying.”

“About going to England?”

“Yes.”

“Do you honestly think we will?”  Cecil asked.

“No.”  Adrienne shook her head.  “I do not.  We will return to Marionneaux, and, as Mr. Punch said, life will get in the way.  You will begin a new venture with Pete.  Fuller will grow.  I will take care of you both.  Time will slip away.”

“Should we tell Robert and Mr. Punch?”

“No.”  Adrienne shook her head.

“I don’t mean now, of course.  They’re sleeping.  But, before they depart tomorrow?”

“No.”  Adrienne smiled again.  “Normally, I would say that we should.  But, I think they both know already, and I think that Mr. Punch is comforted by the idea that we won’t be apart for long.”

“I’d hate to mislead him.”  Cecil sighed. 

“We’re not.”  Adrienne hugged her husband.  “In this instance, we’re merely offering him a kindness.  It is, perhaps, the kindest parting gift we can offer him.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-496?  If so, you can read them here.  

2 comments:

Sam P said...

I hate to see it end.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Well, Sam, thank you. It's not entirely over. Mr. Punch's story will continue.