Saturday, June 11, 2011

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 267

Iolanthe smiled. “You are somethin’, you ginger beast.”


“Get me some water, will you?” Ulrika croaked.

“In a minute.” Iolanthe shook her head. “How’d you manage it?”

“What?” Ulrika groaned.

“Givin’ those two the fake diamond?”

“A footman and a sailor? What do they know of diamonds? That fake was almost good enough to fool you. I paid enough for the thing, I’m just glad to know it got some use.” Ulrika coughed.

“You know, I have never given you enough credit,” Iolanthe sighed.

“No.” Ulrika rasped.

“Probably because I hate you so much.” Iolanthe grinned.

“Water,” Ulrika insisted.

“I can give you somethin’ better than water.”

“I doubt that.” Ulrika tried to get out of the bed on her own, stumbling backward.

“Oh, here.” Iolanthe walked over to the dresser and poured a glass of water for Ulrika. “Since you won’t stop talking about it.”

She forcefully handed the glass to Ulrika who gulped the liquid greedily.

“Not very lady like.”

Ulrika swallowed, cleared her throat and scowled. “I’m sure you were the picture of the perfect lady in prison.”

“Oh, you are fiery.” Iolanthe sighed. “That’s why I want you to work for me.”

“We’ve discussed this before, and I have no intention of being one of your whores. I’m a lady. I come from one of the wealthiest families in the South. What possible reason could I have to need to work for you?”

“Not as one of my girls—though I’m sure I could get a fine price for you.” Iolanthe winked. “I have other business interests than just the trade of flesh.”

“Likely.” Ulrika frowned.

“As I’ve already made clear, I detest you, and I know you have no special fondness for me. Yet, fate somehow keeps bringing us together. Maybe it’s a sign that we…”

“A sign?” Ulrika sputtered. “The loathsome Elegant Ogress believes in signs?”

“I believe in many things.” Iolanthe said.

“Get out of here,” Ulrika lay back on the bed again. “My head is spinning.”

“Don’t you even want to know why I’ve come here in the first place?” Iolanthe asked.

“Not especially.” Ulrika croaked.

“After I’ve just saved you from being murdered, you don’t even want to know what’s brought me here?”

Ulrika grunted. “Obviously, you wormed your way out of prison after they found out that the Duke and the doctor aren’t dead. You came here looking for revenge for the fact that I just left you there to rot and you want your child—who is being looked after downstairs— and the diamond that you think you’re owed.”

Iolanthe squinted. “Well, yes, that’s about it.”

“Now, why don’t you go collect your child and leave me to suffer in peace?” Ulrika said.

“And let Arthur get away with what he’s done?” Iolanthe shook her head.

“What’s it to you?” Ulrika sighed. “Really, I’m not bothered by Arthur.”

“He tried to kill you.” Iolanthe laughed.

“He didn’t get away with it.” Ulrika shrugged. “And, frankly, he didn’t do anything that I wouldn’t have done myself.”

“Listen to me Ulrika,” Iolanthe glowered. “You still want to get rid of the Duke, don’t you?”

“Yes, of course.”

“I have even more reason to want to make that aristocratic lunatic suffer than you have. Not only him, but his sister and his companions. Together, you and I can rid ourselves of many problems.”

Ulrika smiled.

“I’ll make it worth your while,” Iolanthe said firmly.

“There’s only one thing that I want from you.” Ulrika chuckled.

“Do tell,” Iolanthe smired.

“I want you to admit that you need me.”’

Meanwhile, Cecil watched as Robert gently knocked on Julian’s door. Receiving no answer, Robert opened it slowly and peaked into the room.

“Julian?” Robert whispered. “Mr. Punch?”

Cecil and Robert walked over to the bed and peered at Julian’s slumbering body.

“Which one of them will wale up?” Cecil asked.

“Who knows?” Robert shrugged. “I just hope it’s not that insufferable Scaramouche.”

“It ain’t.” Mr. Punch muttered as Julian’s eyes fluttered open.

“Ah, dear Punch,” Robert smiled. “You’ve returned.”

“Thanks to you.” Punch sat up stiffly. “Here, that Scaramouche made the body sore.”

“And, how is Scaramouche?” Cecil asked.

“Tiny, like a little angry monkey.” Punch grinned. “He’s runnin’ ‘round in there.”

“So, Julian managed to take the wind from his discontented sails?” Cecil asked.

“’Spose he did.” Punch nodded.

“Mr. Punch?” Robert asked. “Do you think it’s possible to call upon Julian for a moment?”

“Why?” Punch asked.

“We need him to look at this.” Cecil held up the “diamond.”

“That hunk of glass? Here, what for?” Punch tilted his head to one side.

“You know it’s glass?” Robert smiled.

“”Course.” Punch shrugged. “Don’t forget, Chum, the real diamond was in me puppet head for many years. Now, don’t think I’d know it from a hunk of glass? Coo, who gave you that?”

“Arthur.” Robert sighed.

“He got it from Ulrika Rittenhouse.” Cecil added.

“Don’t care where he got it!” Mr. Punch grumbled. “It’s just a hunk of glass! Where’s the rogue now?”

“In the back parlor.” Robert replied.

“He ain’t seen Barbara yet?” Punch asked.

“Well, yes. He’s down there with her now.” Cecil responded.

“You left him with Barbara?” Punch got out of bed. “We got to get down there!”



Did you miss Chapters 1-266? If so, you can read them here. Come back on June 13, 2011 for Chapter 268 of Punch's Cousin

No comments: