Friday, June 10, 2011

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 266

Cecil narrowed his eyes, “Man, we had an arrangement that was mutually agreed upon. Who do you think you are coming in here at the last minute and changing the terms of our agreement?”


“I’m the one with the diamond.” Arthur smirked, holding the stone between his figures.

“I’m prepared to reward you handsomely for your troubles, and, then, you agreed to leave us—permanently.”

“And, I aim to keep that promise.” Arthur said. “Only it may not be as easy as I thought.”

“You’ll figure something out, I’m sure,” Robert frowned.

“Sure, ‘bout that,” Arthur nodded. “I’m gonna need a coach and horses.”

“Absurd!” Cecil spat. “I’ve not got either to spare! With the money I’ll be giving you, you can hire a carriage!”

“That’s just it.” Arthru shook his head, “I can’t do that. I’ve got to get out of here as quick as I can.”

“You said Ulrika was still alive. That was true, wasn’t it?” Robert asked cautiously.

“Sure, it is.” Gerard interrupted. “But, she’s goin’ to be awful angry when she comes to.”

“Comes to?” Robert asked.

“What have you done?” Cecil asked.

“Never you mind ‘bout that. The less you know ‘bout it, the better.” Arthur answered. “But, I’m sure you can appreciate that she’s gonna come after us. That’s why I gotta get out of here, see.”

“Just give him Dr. Biamenti’s coach and two of his horses. I’ll cover the cost of replacing them before her returns. I’m sure Meridian can tell us if he has any attachment to a particular horse. I know he won’t mind.”

“If you’re sure.” Cecil sighed.

“I am. I just want these men out of the house.” Robert nodded.

“How kind of you.” Arthur grinned.

“Give me the diamond, then.” Robert demanded.

“Not ‘til Mr. Halifax gives me my gold.” Arthur clasped the diamond in his fist.

“Dear God,” Robert muttered, nodding at Cecil.

“I’ll return shortly.” Cecil grumbled.

As Cecil opened the back parlor door to fetch the money, he brushed past Barbara Allen who was walking down the hallway. Through the open door, she spotted her husband and shuddered, involuntary grunting as she did.

Arthur spun around and grinned coldly at his wife. “Well, if it ain’t my bride.”

“Don’t speak with him, Miss Allen,” Robert shook his head.

“Keep to yourself,” Arthur spat. “She’s my wife. She can talk with me if she so wants.”

“I have nothing to say to you, Arthur,” Barbara said.

“Not even if I show you this?” Arthur asked, holding up the diamond.

“What do I want with a hunk of blue glass?” Barbara sniffed.

“What?” Arthur growled.

“Glass.” Barbara nodded. “Did you think you’d fool us with that? I’ve been around jewels all my life. And, I know that particular diamond quite well, if you’ll recall. Even from this distance I can tell that it’s counterfeit.”

“Is it, Miss Allen?” Robert asked.

“Certainly,” Barbara nodded.

“Liar.” Arthur snarled.

“If you don’t believe me,” Barbara shrugged. “My brother, His Grace, is a jeweler. Ask him.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-265? If so, you can read them here.

No comments: