Monday, August 16, 2010

Song of the Week: "I Vow to Thee My Country"


And there's another country, I've heard of long ago,
Most dear to them that love her, most great to them that know;
We may not count her armies, we may not see her King;
Her fortress is a faithful heart, her pride is suffering;
And soul by soul and silently her shining bounds increase,
And her ways are ways of gentleness, and all her paths are peace.


Portrait by John Swannell, 1994, courtesy Chris Beetles Gallery
As we approach the thirteenth anniversary of the shocking death of Diana, Princess of Wales, I find myself humming “I Vow to Thee My Country” when I’m not humming, “The Ballad of Barbara Allen.” A favorite of Diana’s, the hymn was played at her funeral.

It’s also a favorite of mine. When I first heard the hymn, I found it familiar. There was a good reason for that. Gustav Holst adapted a portion of the “Jupiter” movement from his masterwork, The Planets as the tune for the hymn. The haunting lyrics stem from adaptations of a poem by British diplomat Cecil Spring-Rice which speaks, in the first verse, of the United Kingdom—most specifically the substantial losses she suffered in the First World War. The second verse, “And, there’s another country” refers to Heaven.

Often played during Armistice memorial services, the hymn was first performed in 1925. Since then, it has become one of the most popular hymns in the United Kingdom for both patriotic and spiritual purposes. In fact, it’s often sung at Cricket matches. From the evocative lyrics to the beautiful melody, this is more than just a hymn, just an anthem. It’s a means of expressing loyalty to whatever is of most significance to you.

This video is a touching compilation of scenes from the House of Windsor over the decades which has been set to this wonderful song.  Just click the play button to view.

3 comments:

Dashwood said...

What a lovely video to go with this very special hymn. Spectacular!

KathyL said...

I agree, Dashwood. I sat mesmerized throughout it. Thank you for finding that at sharing it with us.

Joseph Crisalli said...

I thought this was a really lovely video. I'm so glad you enjoyed it!