|Lade from the Grand Punch Bowl|
The Royal Collection
This and all related images
Courtesy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Edward, John & William Barnard served as the silversmiths for this handsome ladle of ivory and silver gilt. The piece was made between 1841 and 1842 for The Grand Punch Bowl that has presided over many a soiree at the Royal Residences. The bowl, originally a wine cooler, was changed into its present form for the christening of Prince Albert Edward (later King Edward VII) at Windsor Castle. Queen Victoria and Prince Albert commissioned the Barnards to create this ladle for the event.
The bowl of the ladle is formed of silver gilt in the shape of a large, matted shell with a relief of coral. The ivory shaft is joined by a foliate spray of silver gilt. Since the piece was made for the christening of Prince Albert Edward, the shaft terminates in the Prince of Wales’ feathers.