Friday, November 30, 2012

Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square, Chapter 201





Chapter 201
Delay


Did you smell something sweet out there?” Punch asked, wrinkling his nose.

“I did.” Robert nodded. “Cheap cologne.”

As the carriage rattled out of Belgrave Square, Punch sniffed. “You know what it reminded me of?”

“Iolanthe Evangeline?” Robert asked.

“Yeah.” Punch nodded. “Her whole house smelled of that kind of cologne. Here, you don’t think Hutchinson’s taken to wearing such a tawdry scent?”

“No.” Robert shook his head. “It was probably just left behind by a woman walking on the square.” He recalled what Speaight had told him before breakfast. “Incidentally, Speaight mentioned to me that the staff had seen Hutchinson in the mews last night, talking with two women.”

“I thought he had his eyes on Vi.” Punch frowned.

“As did I.” Robert agreed. “However, I think it’s Vi that has her eyes set on him. Or, did, at any rate.”

“Do ya think Hutchinson was…ya know…with them kind of women?”

“Not really. He doesn’t seem the sort. I’m sure it was innocent enough. But, I didn’t want to forget to mention it to you.”

“Thanks, Chum.” Punch nodded.

“You seem in better spirits than you did last night.” Robert smiled.

“Breakfast helped.” Punch chuckled. “But, most of all, you made me feel better. I got to thinkin’ ‘bout it, and I’m kinda excited to see if the diamond we’re looking at for Her Majesty is really our pa’s diamond.”

“To be honest, I’m hoping that it is.” Robert replied.

“I am, too, Chum. I thought ‘bout what you said last night, and, well, I like the idea of the Queen havin’ it. I just hope it ain’t been cut down.”

“If it has, will you still recognize it?”

“Oh, sure.” Punch nodded.

Robert grinned, but his smile faded quickly as the carriage rolled to a stop.

“Why are we stoppin’?” Punch looked out of the window. “We’re not at the palace.”

“I’m not sure.” Robert answered.

Hutchinson lifted the hatch at the top of the carriage.

“My apologies for the delay, Your Grace.”

“What’s the matter?” Robert asked.

“We need to make a stop, Sir.”

“I didn’t authorize any stops!” Robert replied angrily. “We’ve important business at the palace! Now, go!”

“No, Sir. There’s someone more important what wants to see ya first.” Hutchinson answered.



Did you miss Chapters 1-200 of Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square? If so, you can read them here. Come back tomorrow for Chapter 202.
 

No comments: