Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Object of the Day: Clark's ONT Spool Cotton


Click on image to get a grip.



At first glance, I thought, oh, what a pretty card. And, it is. It joins many other Clarks Thread cards as well as Coats Thread cards in my collection of Victorian ephemera. It’s got all the hallmarks of Victorian advertising—lush colors, rosy-cheeked tots. The image was clearly created specifically for Clark’s. This is no stock card. Time, money and effort went into the creation of this piece.

And, then, I studied the image more closely. Perhaps it’s just because I’m messed up in the head, but I see something a little more sinister going on here beyond two sisters posing angelically. Look at the face of the girl in red. She’s up to something. Yes?

She hasn’t got the little blonde in an embrace. No. It’s a grip. She’s gripping the girl’s tender flesh in her vice-like, tiny left hand. And, what about the other hand? She’s doing something with that pink ribbon. The poor blonde is unaware…caught in that moment just before she realizes what’s happening.

Nonetheless, it’s a pretty chromolithograph. And, frankly, my interpretation of the events just makes me like it more.

Let’s see what’s going on with the reverse. Ah, yes, more ultra-confident ad copy.

The Most Popular Articles 
of their kind 

CLARK’S 
O.N.T. 
SPOOL COTTON. 

For Hand and Machine 
Sewing. 
Clark’s O.N.T. Crochet Cotton on Balls. 
Clark’s O.N.T. Darning Cotton on Balls. 
Milward’s Helix Needles 
AND 
Marshall’s Linen Threads.


6 comments:

Darcy said...

The little girl in red is definitely up to something ..
It looks to me like she is restraining her little friend in white for her own evil purposes.
Maybe she is going to feed her raw snails or force her to drink gutter water.
I think perhaps she's Dashwood' s great grandmother .

Joseph Crisalli said...

I think you're on to something, Darcy!

Dashwood said...

Oh, no. The family shame is out! Hown on earth would Darcy have guessed that my Great-Grandmom was Blanche Hudson. For years, she tortured her little blonde sister, Jane by feeding her unwholesome things like snails and unsanitary water. It took years and years for Auntie Jane to snap and start giving Granny dead things like rats and parakeets. But she eventually got even.

SO, Darcy. I hope you're proud of yourself. I hope you're happy.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Well, I suspected as much.

And, maybe it's schadenfreude, but I find your family history very amusing.

Darcy said...

Yes, Dashwood, I am proud of myself. Maybe now you won't feel the need to make up stories about me and an innocent shepherd girl. Let's hope the truth will set you free.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Bo Peep says, "hello."