Monday, September 17, 2012

Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square, Chapter 141


Chapter 141: 
Horrid 


These are the people to whom you devote yourself?” Kasperl gloated to Mr. Punch. They stood in that ephemeral space within the body of the Duke of Fallbridge—that location known and inhabited only by the Duke’s assorted “personalities.” “Your precious valet did not shy away from striking when cornered.”

“He didn’t have no other choice.” Mr. Punch replied fiercely. “And, I’m glad he done it, I am. Got you back in here. I cheer for him, Kasperl. Ya hear me? I cheer!” With that, Punch whooped loudly.

“Silence, you miserable hunchback!” Kasperl shouted.

Guignol sniffed loudly, his long face becoming even more pale than usual. “Mon Dieu, Kasperl, devez-vous faire tout un tel combat? Vous injustement pris le contrôle et vous avez échoué lamentablement. Maintenant, je pense qu'il est préférable que nous laissions M. Punch retourner à sa place avec le médecin et leur fils.”

“I don’t make the battles, you simpering French moron.” Kasperl spat.

“No,” Scaramouche chimed in. “The battles already exist. Unlike you, Kasperl and I fight to maintain…”

“Maintain what?’ Julian interrupted softly.

“Your dignity.” Scramouche snorted.

“Forcing Charles to strike my body was not a path to maintaining my dignity.” Julian replied quietly. “Guignol is correct, let Mr. Punch return to his rightful place alongside Dr. Halifax and the child.”

“His rightful place?” Scaramouche scoffed. “How is it more so his place than mine?”

“Because I’ve so deemed it.” Julian answered.

“That’s right.” Mr. Punch nodded.

“If it’s my dignity which preoccupies you, then, it should be my choice as to the identity which carries on my life.”

“You don’t know anything.” Scaramouche snapped. “Kasperl will end this suffering in a way befitting the Duke of Fallbridge.”

“I don’t wish for the suffering to end.” Julian replied. “It’s the suffering which reminds us that there is, in fact, joy to be found.”

“What do you know of joy?” Kasperl asked in his German accent.

“Much. Now. Prior to allowing Punch undeterred reign, I never imagined such happiness could exist. However, since his masterful handling of the world outside, I’ve learned that contentedness is possible.”

Guignol yelped. “En outre, si nous maintenons ce combat, nous pourrions tout à perdre tout! Il me trouble ainsi. Chaque instant qui passe nous éloigne de ce bonheur. Nous ne pouvons pas risquer de le perdre, Scaramouche! Je crains que nous le ferons. Si vous continuez à perdre du temps dans une telle manière, tout va sûrement être perdue.”

“Guignol makes a good point. If you continue in this manner,” Julian sighed, “We could risk undoing all of the good which Mr. Punch has accomplished.”

“Your Grace,” Scaramouche said levelly, “don’t you crave peace?”

“Certainly.” Julian whispered.

“Il ne faut pas les écouter, Votre Grâce, le duc! Ils sont pleins de mensonges et de ruses!” Guignol moaned.

“They shan’t deceive me, Guignol.” Julian replied gently. “Do not fear.”

Guignol wailed, “Je fais peur! Votre Grâce, le duc, s'il vous plaît ... J'ai entendu Scaramouche et sa divagation insensée quand il pense que personne ne l'écoute. Il a clairement fait savoir que son but est de détruire le corps. Sa colère est telle que la seule réponse est d'extermination.”

“There, there, Guignol, I know of Scaramouche’s plans. I know that his anger has grown to the point that he feels the only escape is to destroy us all. That, my dear, is why he has created Kasperl—unfeeling, cold…” Julian paused. “I shan’t let it happen.”

“You can’t control your own body,” Scaramouche laughed. “Do you think you can control us?”

“Stop it now!” Mr. Punch interrupted. “You don’t’ speak that way to me master, you don’t! Let’s not forget, it’s his life and his body. He wants me to look after ‘em, and that’s what I aim to do.”

“Enfin! Une voix de la raison. " Guignol applauded.

“You had your chance.” Punch said firmly. “You tricked me and got yourself out. And, what’d ya get for it? A fist to the jaw? Ain’t no one gonna let ya do no harm to our body nor to anyone else. Now, I gotta go, I do. I got a household in trouble and I got a baby and a chum what needs me.”

“Robert est si beau. Un tel beau visage et de beaux yeux. Je ne l'aime tant.” Guingol sighed.

“That’s right, French bloke,” Punch nodded proudly. “Robert is a right proper, fine man and what’s more, he loves me and me him.”

“And, did that love and that handsome face keep murder from your home? Scaramouche taunted.

“No.” Punch replied. “But, that ain’t what love is for. Love’s meant to help us grow when others might try to trample us down.”

“Vous êtes très sage, M. Punch .” Guignol said.

“I concur.” Julian added. “Stop this foolishness at once, Scaramouche. Call off your creation and let’s continue as we were.”

“Kasperl shall not be deterred.” Scaramouche growled.

“Vous êtes en infériorité numérique, Scaramouche.”

“Yes,” Julian agreed. “We’ve voted and you’re in the minority. Mr. Punch shall resume and will desist this madness immediately.”

“Finally,” Scaramouche clucked, “you show some backbone. Where was that strength when you were a boy?”

“Attention, salaud. Vous avec votre cou tendu. Est-il garder vos pensées d'entrer dans votre cœur? Ne creusez pas pour ces choses qui vaut mieux laisser dans leurs cryptes.” Guignol warned.

“My long neck serves to support my head.” Scaramouche barked. “My head which is filled with knowledge.”

“Whatever is he saying, Mr. Punch?” Julian whispered.

“Somethin’ he oughtn’t.” Punch rasped.

“Do you think you’re the only one who keeps information for us, Punch? Scaramouche laughed.

“You don’t know nothin’.” Punch snapped.

“Don’t I?”

“Tell them, Scaramouche.” Kasperl cheered. “Tell them how horrid the world is.”

“I already know all ‘bout it.” Punch said firmly. “And, so do me master and Guignol.”

“Do you remember the day on the turrets, Your Grace?” Scaramouche growled. “The day that Mr. Punch scratched those words into the stone?”

“Arrêtez-le! Arrête ça parle!” Guignol squealed.

“Yes,” Punch warned. “Stop it.”

“You don’t know what I’m going to say, Mr. Punch. Not even you remember t his.” Scaramouche boasted.

“Je vous en supplie! Pour un arrêt amour de Dieu!” Guignol wailed.

“I shan’t.” Scaramouche replied. “I want them to remember!”



Did you miss Chapters 1-140 of Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square? If so, you can read them here. Come back tomorrow for Chapter 142.

No comments: