Friday, February 24, 2012

Mastery of Design: The Monica Casswell Jewel, 1860

Brooch of chased gold, topaz and garnets, c. 1860
The Victoria & Albert Museum




This gold brooch is set with cabochon cut garnets and topazes.  It dates to about 1860 and appears to have been made in England as it exhibits characteristics of English jewelry-making of the period.

But, beyond that, we don’t know much else about it except that it lives at the V&A. 

So, why did I select it as today’s sparkly thing?  Well, that’s easy.  Since Friday is always devoted to Mr. Punch, on Friday’s I try to pick a jewel that somehow looks Punch-ish to me.  I think that Punch would have purchased this brooch, or one like it, as a gift for Pretty Polly.  For Judy, he’d have brought home some fish for her to cook.

We do know that this jewel was once owned by one Monica Casswell who may or may not have sent a granddaughter to the Copacabana School of Dramatic Art.  If you can tell me to what I’m referring with that last line, I’ll publicly congratulate you.


3 comments:

Darcy said...

The movie is "All about Eve"' the line is delivered by George Sanders character and he is talking about the character played by Marilyn Monroe. There are many great lines from that movie.

Shawn said...

Happy "Punch-y Friday" and what a great movie reference! I believe you are referring to the part of Miss Casswell played by Marilyn Monroe in the classice Bette Davis film, "All About Eve." :)

Joseph Crisalli said...

Hooray! Public congratulations to Darcy and Shawn! Well done!