This event is depicted in the thirty-eight card in the 1935 series of commemorative Silver Jubilee cards by Wills’s Cigarette Co.
The reverse of the Card reads:
THE OPENING OF THE NEW LAMBETH BRIDGE
In 1879, King Edward, then Prince of Wales, opened Lambeth Suspension Bridge; and on July 19th, 1932, his son, King George V, declared open its 936,000 pound successor. A great throng watched the barriers lift at the Royal touch, and to the sounds of sirens and cheering, the King and Queen, escorted by Life Guards and outriders, passed ceremoniously across. The graceful steel structure, carried on granite piers, is ornamented at either end with pylons each topped by a gilded pineapple. Heavy traffic was slow to make use of Sir Reginald Blomfield's fine new bridge, but in July, 1934, 10,222 vehicles were recorded within twelve hours.
|Lambeth Bridge Today|