|Gothic Revival Plate|
The Victoria & Albert Museum
This plate was designed by the celebrated architect and writer A.W.N. Pugin, known for his association with the Palace of Westminster and as a leading figure in the Gothic Revival. This plate, with its trefoil and quatrefoil ornament, is a perfect example of Pugin's Gothic style sensibilities. According to the V&A, "Pugin had a long-standing relationship with Herbert Minton of Minton & Co. and produced many ceramic designs for the firm, including tiles as well as tableware."
The eight-lobed white plate feautures a rim decorated with raised quatrefoils in a buff color and gilding on blue ground. The playe's center shows raised vine leaves and grapes in gilding and green on a buff ground around a central circle containing a green tudor rose surrounded with a band of trefoil shapes in gilding on blue.
It was made in Staffordshire, England around 1848.