|Earrings made for the Lady Clapham Doll|
The Victoria & Albert Museum
This set of mismatched earrings belonged to a doll. The Lady Clapham doll--the be exact. The Lord and Lady Clapham Dolls were made in the Seventeenth Century for the Cockerell Family--descendants of the famed diarist Samuel Pepys (1633-1703) who first recorded Mr. Punch's presence in Covent Garden.
The dolls were outfitted with complete wardrobes and furnishings befitting full-size nobility. Among Lady Clapham's accessories were these earrings. The stud is made of brass and backed in silver while the more formal drop is a paste set in a silver mount.