Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Treat of the Week: Country Fair






A recent treat of the week was alive with country flavors.

The meal began with a hearty entree of country-fried steak.  Floured and egged cube steak was seasoned and fried to perfection.  Flavorful homemade cream gravy made the steak all the more delectable.  Served with homemade mashed potatoes and lovely green beans with sliced almonds and a strawberry glaze, this steak reminded us of the sunny Southern  Sundays dinners we enjoyed in Georgia.  My mom's homemade biscuits were an ideal accompaniment, especially with a drizzle of honey on them.











Dessert was a favorite of mine--blueberry muffins which have the distinction of being both a breakfast food, a dessert or a meal of their own.  My mother's recipe includes a delicately crunchy cinnamon and sugar topping which goes so well with the hint of cinnamon she puts in the batter.  Tender, flavorful and comforting!








Look for more "Treats of the Week" on Thursday and Friday!




11 comments:

April said...

Yeehaw, make me up a plate!

Sam P said...

Looks delicious and filling!!!

Doug said...

I love countryfried steak! I'd eat that up!

Angelo said...

I never had that. Looks good!!!!!!!!!!!

Gene said...

Downhome goodness! Wish I had some.

Barb said...

Oh wow! Love it all.

Book Gurl said...

Beautiful!

Kathy said...

She can cook anything! Really amazing!

Matt said...

Makes me think of home!

Carolyn said...

Muffins! My favorite thing in the whole, whole world!

Beth Ann said...

Mmmmm...I saw this earlier and it inspired me to get out my recipe for steak. I hope mine turns out this good!