Monday, July 9, 2012

Painting of the Day: A Young Man of the Maynard family, Eighteenth Century

A Young Man of the Maynard Family
George Romney, c. 1780
The Victoria & Albert Museum



British portrait painter George Romney was one of the most prolific in his field during the later Eighteenth Century. One glance at his sitter books from 1776-1795 shows the he painted over 1500 individuals. Romney was known for his sensitive renditions of his sitters and his ability to convey the subject’s emotions and personality in simple and elegant ways. 



Take this portrait of a young man for example. The man’s face has been delicately rendered, showing an engaging expression which is dramatically hidden behind the shadow from his tilted hat. This theatrical trickery makes us want to learn more about the sitter, and also imbues the canvas with the mysterious sense of life for which Romney’s work became famous. 



2 comments:

Darcy said...

When I first saw this painting, I knew this man reminded me of someone. Then, when you posted your story about "White Collar" I knew who, Peter Burke, yes, this man could be Peter Burke's fictional ancestor.
I can see the plot. Someone steals this painting while it's in a New York museum on loan from the V and A. Neal and Peter (with the help of Mozzie ) switch the painting with a copy painted by Neal. The crook is caught !
In the end Peter and Elizabeth get to keep the copy that Neal painted. They hang it in a place of prominence in their home.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Very clever, Darcy! I think we should alert Jeff Eastin. I think that would be a great plot!

And, yes, you're on to me. Each day's posts (mostly) adhere to a theme. In honor of the start of season 4, today's posts relate in some way to "White Collar." The inkstand reminded me of Neal and Mozzie working together. The suit is all Neal. The tie pin is a nod to Neal as well, and, yes, I selected the painting because of the resemblance to Tim DeKay.