Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square, Chapter 84



Chapter 84: 
Competition 



Gerard bounded through the corridor, smiling when he saw the Duke and Dr. Halifax with Finlay.

“Mr. Speaight said you wanted me, Sirs.” Gerard grinned.

Mr. Punch and Robert looked at one another, and, then, at Finlay.

“How are you feeling, Gerard?” Robert asked.

“Very well, Sir.” Gerard nodded. “Why do you ask?”

“I’d told the masters,” Finlay began, “that I thought you looked a little groggy this mornin’.”

“Why’d you tell them that?” Gerard tilted his head to one side. “I feel fine.”

“Just thought you seemed a little off, lad.” Finlay smiled. “Can’t be too careful ‘round the baby. I figured you might have had gotten a bit of the governess’ fever. I noticed you stumble after breakfast.”

“Oh, that.” Gerard chuckled. “I tripped on the leg of me chair. Not used to the chairs in the Servants’ Hall here. They stick out more than the ones at home.”

“Have you been tripping often lately, Gerard?” Robert asked.

“No, Sir.”

“I ask only because after a head injury, a man can often find his balance compromised. You’ve not had any troubles keeping your balance since you were hurt?”

“Not at all.” Gerard shrugged.

“I must have mistaken his little stumble, then.” Finlay added quickly. “I was jus’ tryin’ to keep an eye open for everyone’s good.”

“Sorry if I alarmed you, Finlay. I ain’t the most graceful bloke. But, I feel quite well.”

“I’m glad you’re well, Gerard.” Punch said, still speaking as Julian.

“Very much so,” Gerard nodded.

“Excellent.” Robert smiled. “Well, thank you, Finlay, that will be all.”

“Sir.” Finlay bowed his head. “I don’t mind walking with you.”

“Perhaps another time,” Mr. Punch interrupted. “Presently, we thought it might be nice for Gerard and Gamilla to accompany us.”

“I see.” Finlay smiled stiffly. “As you wish, Your Grace. Should you need me, just ring.”

“Very good, Finlay.” Robert said firmly.

With that, Finlay walked briskly off.

“That’s the second time today what he’s been a little bit…” Punch whispered when Finlay was out of earshot.

“Overly interested?” Robert suggested.

“Yes.” Punch sighed.

“Can you shed any light on that, Gerry?” Robert asked.

“Well, Sir.” Gerard shrugged. “Best I can figure it, Finlay’s used to bein’ the only man ‘bout the house. The other blokes on the estate work outside. Finlay’s pa and the other men are mostly on the grounds or in the stables. They only come inside when somethin’s broken. So, with Charlie and me here, I guess Finlay feels a bit…well…dunno.”

“Threatened, I s’pose.” Punch smiled. “Now he’s got to compete with you and Charles for the attention of the masters.”

“That’s it, Your Grace.” Gerard nodded.

“That makes sense.” Robert sighed. “Well, we’ll make a point of praising him at tea. In fact, Gerard, why don’t you and Charles let Finlay serve with Speaight at tea. You can tell Speaight that I said so.”

“I will, Sir.”

“In the meanwhile,” Punch said brightly, preparing to open the door to the nursery. “We thought you might like to take a walk with Gamilla. Dr. Halifax and I will push Colin in his pram, but we’d like you and Gamilla to follow—at a reasonable distance—behind. It’s been forever since you two had a chance to talk by yourselves.”

Gerard grinned broadly. “Thank you ever-so much, Sir.”

“Just don’t stay too far behind us,” Robert teased.

“I won’t, Sir.” Gerard blushed. “By the way, Sir, when Mr. Speaight was lookin’ for me he mentioned to Mrs. Pepper that you and His Grace were takin’ a walk, so Mrs. Pepper’s puttin’ together a basket of all sorts of lovely things to eat. I’ll pick it up as we leave and carry it for ya.”

“How kind!” Punch chirped. He glanced back at Gerard and noticed that the footman’s smile had faded.

“What’s botherin’ ya?” Punch asked.

“Oh…” Gerard shook his head.

“Come on, Gerard.” Robert said gently. “You needn’t worry about telling us anything.”

“Well, Sir. It’s just…did Finlay tell ya I tripped?”

“He said you looked groggy.” Punch shook his head.

“He didn’t say I been drinkin’, did he?”

“He suggested it.” Robert answered softly.

“That ain’t right.” Gerard frowned. “He’s the one what offered me whiskey last night. I refused and all. He were the one drinkin’ it down.”

“You shouldn’t let it bother you too much, Gerard.” Punch patted Gerry on the shoulder. “You remember how men can be when they think they’re competin’. Wasn’t ‘til long after you met what you and Charlie got to be friends. I s’pect Finlay will settle down in a few days and you two will get on like ol’ chums.”

“I’m sure you’re right, Your Grace.” Gerard nodded. “Only…he had to really go out of his way to come up here without seein’ me when you asked Speaight to fetch me. I wasn’t but in the pantry. He could easily have gotten me.”

“It’s best not to dwell on it.” Robert smiled.

“Sure.” Gerard nodded.

“Sides, you got a nice mornin’ ‘head of ya.” Punch said. “Now, let’s go tell Gamilla ‘bout our plans and get Colin ready to go.”

“Thank you again, Your Grace, Sir.” Gerard began to grin again. “I…I feel like I’m part of a family. Haven’t felt that way in almost thirty years.”

“We are a family, Gerry.” Punch nodded. “Ain’t nothin’ gonna change that.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-83? If so, you can read them here. Come back tomorrow for Chapter 85 of Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square.
 

No comments: