Monday, July 16, 2012

Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square, Chapter 88


Chapter 88: 
Functions and Freedoms 

Dog Toby rolled over and patted Mr. Punch with his left front paw, growling softly.

Robert tilted his head to one side. “What’s he telling you, Dear Punch?”

“Dunno.” Punch shrugged, sitting up in bed.

The terrier stood up and barked, pawing again at Punch.

“You need to go outside, dog chum?” Punch asked.

With that, Toby jumped off of the bed and ran across the bedchamber. He paused at the doorway to the nursery and began to bark.

Punch leapt from the bed. “No. He don’t need to go out. Somethin’ ain’t right.”

Punch hurried to the nursery, opening the slightly ajar door all the way. Toby trotted into the nursery and Punch followed behind.

“Here!” Punch snapped. “What are you doin’ in this room, Finlay?”

“Sir.” Finlay grinned, standing over Colin’s crib.

“What you doin’ in here?” Punch demanded, not bothering to affect Julian’s voice and mannerisms.

“I was passing by and thought that I would check on the child.” Finlay continued to smile.

“Why?” Punch narrowed his eyes. “Ain’t your place.”

Robert rushed into the room, standing behind Punch. The two stood in the darkened room in their nightshirts, their bare feet on the cold stone floor.

“What is this?” Robert asked.

“Says he wanted to look in on the baby,” Punch growled.

Robert frowned, looking around the room. “Light that lamp there.” Robert ordered, pointing to the tall oil lamp which stood on the table farthest from the crib. “I want to see our son.”

Finlay nodded, walking first to the fire and lighting a spill. He then went to the table to ignite the lamp which he carried over to the crib, illuminating Colin who had just awakened. Confused, the child began to cry.

“You woke him, you fool!” Punch spat, reaching forward to pick up his son.

“Finlay, please explain yourself.” Robert shook his head.

“I’m sorry, Dr. Halifax.” Finlay smiled. “I meant no harm. I…”

“Yes?” Robert raised an eyebrow.

“I was just making sure that the household was in order—as I do each night. And, well, Sir…I passed by the nursery and thought ‘bout the little laddie in here sleepin’. He’s such a fine lad and I…I like him so. Don’t have much to do with babies, Sir. But, I like ‘em. I imagine it’s a natural thing…a man my age. Ain’t gonna have no children, Sir. You know…”

Robert nodded.

“But, Sir, at forty, a man has paternal feelings. I…” Finlay’s smile faded slightly. “I just thought of the little nipper in here. I just wanted to look in on him. I didn’t mean to cause any trouble.”

“Ain’t your place.” Punch repeated. “You’re not to come in here. Only Gamilla, and, when she’s better, Miss Barrett, should be in the nursery. You ain’t to interfere with the child!”

“Your Grace,” Finlay began. “I am sorry. It’s just that Gerard and Charles often come to the nursery. I didn’t think you’d mind.”

“Gerard and Charles can!” Punch snarled, cradling the child. “They know the boy. They known him since almost when he were born. He likes them. But, he don’t know you! You coulda scared him.”

“Again, Sir, I apologize.” Finlay said. “I’ve clearly upset you, and I certainly didn’t mean any harm.”

“Damn right, I’m upset!” Punch answered.

“So much so that you’re not yourself, Your Grace.” Finlay nodded.

Punch narrowed his eyes, realizing his mistake. He spoke carefully. “How I speak in my own home is not your concern, Finlay. Nor is it your place to comment on it. I realize that you’ve been without a master for quite some time, but clearly you don’t remember your place. You are here as a footman. In our household, Gerard and Charles outrank you. Charles is first footman and both he and Gerard are valets to the masters of the house. They have privileges and duties which you do not. You’re not to question their functions and freedoms. Nor are you to attempt to parrot them.”

“Your Grace, I’ve served on this estate since I could walk. You and I were boys together.”

“We were boys at the same time.” Punch scowled. “Not together. Longevity is no excuse for overstepping your bounds. And, certainly, it should indicate to me that you know better.”

“I am deeply sorry.” Finlay nodded. “I only wished to look at the child.”

“You are dismissed, Finlay.” Robert interrupted.

“Sir?” Finlay raised his eyebrows. “Do you mean I’m sacked?”

“No.” Robert shook his head. “I simply mean that you’re dismissed for the evening. You will, in the future, remember your place.”

“Yes, Sir.” Finlay nodded.

The three of them stood in silence for a moment.

“Well?” Robert bellowed.

“I…” Finlay began. “I thought I might extinguish the lamp and tidy up after you…after…”

“Finlay, leave this room at once!” Robert snapped.

“Yes, Sir.” Finlay nodded again. Hesitating slightly, Finlay walked slowly to the nursery door. He paused with his hand on the large bronze handle. “Please forgive me, Sirs. I meant no harm.”

Robert nodded as Punch turned his back on the man—still gently rocking the child in his arms.

Finlay left the room, closing the door behind him.

Robert knelt down and patted Dog Toby’s head. “You’re a good boy.” He told the terrier. “A very good boy.”

Finally, Mr. Punch smiled. “Sure he is. He loves his Colin. Always lookin’ out for ‘im.”

“I can’t believe the gall of the man.” Robert shook his head as he stood. “I can understand wanting to look at the baby, but…” Robert sputtered angrily. “To come into his nursery in the middle of the night—especially when the room adjoins the bedchamber of the master.”

Punch sighed, gently placing Colin in his cradle. “I s’pose he’s forgotten how to act when the house is occupied.” Punch frowned. “And, he heard me talkin’ like I do. I was so angry, I didn’t think…”

“Don’t let it trouble you, dear Punch. It was inevitable. This is your home. You may behave as you like without being questioned.”

“I know, but…” Punch sighed. “What if he talks to the others?”

“No doubt he will.” Robert shrugged. “It’ll all be forgotten in a day or two.”

“I hope so.” Punch mumbled, looking down at the child who had, once again, fallen asleep. He looked up at Robert. “Troubles me a bit how jealous he seems to be of Gerard and Charles.”

“That, too, is unavoidable. I suspect that Finlay rather fancies himself superior. You noticed how quick he was to remind you that he’d been on this estate all his life?”

“Yes.” Punch furrowed his brow. “But, to say we was boys together—as if that made us chums or somethin’.”

“Did the two of you…or, more accurately, did you and Julian play together as a child?”

“No.” Punch chuckled. “Julian didn’t play with no one—never.”

Robert nodded.

“You…” Punch began. “You believe him?”

“I do.” Robert said after awhile. “I don’t think he meant any harm. I believe he was definitely misguided, but I don’t think he meant to cause trouble.”

Punch thought for a moment. “Very well,” he said finally. He glanced at Colin again. “Maybe we’d ought to bring Colin in with us.”

“I wouldn’t mind,” Robert smiled. “But, he’s just asleep again. Wouldn’t we wake him if we move him?”

“Prob’ly.” Punch sighed.

Robert bent down and picked up Dog Toby. “Come. Let’s go back to bed.”

Mr. Punch looked at Colin again.

“He’ll be fine.” Robert said softly. “Dog Toby obviously has a keen guard on the nursery.”

Punch nodded, walking over to extinguish the lamp.

“I’ll finish your story.” Robert grinned.

“Sure,” Punch replied as they walked back into the bedchamber. “But, let’s leave the nursery door open. Charles will be in before Gamilla, so we’ll both be up and dressed by the time she’s in.”

“Of course.” Robert said.

As Robert, Punch and Toby climbed back into bed, they were unaware that Colin still wasn’t alone in his nursery.

Behind the screen which shielded Colin’s toys and assorted paraphernalia from the rest of the room, Ellen Barrett crouched—frowning terribly. She had hidden herself when she heard the dog bark—leaving Finlay to fend for himself.

Ellen knew that should she come out from behind the screen, she’d have to walk in front of the light of the fire and that from their bed, with the door opened as it was, Robert and Punch could see her exiting the room.

She bit her lip in frustration and hoped desperately that the two men, and especially the little dog, would soon fall asleep.



Did you miss Chapters 1-87 of Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square? If so, you can read them here. Come back tomorrow for Chapter 89.



5 comments:

Marsha said...

I hate that Ellen!

Joseph Crisalli said...

That seems to be the general consensus.

Barb said...

Ugh...the anticipation! Horrible woman!

Joseph Crisalli said...

She is pretty awful.

Anonymous said...

Would definitely appreciate a time machine that allowed for some very serious, historical ass-kicking.