Friday, July 20, 2012

Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square, Chapter 92



Chapter 92:
Until the Harvest 




Finlay grinned as he opened the door to the Hunting Cottage.

“Victor,” he cooed.

“Hurry up and shut the door, Finlay.” The Baron Lensdown snarled. “Your masters are just outside. Do you want them to spot me?”

Finlay shook his head. “Those two don’t ever see anything. They’re too busy with the baby or the dog or the Duke’s puppets or whatever fool thing has preoccupied them.”

“Nevertheless.” Lensdown shrugged.

“Sit down, Victor.” Finlay smiled.

“You’re not to address me as ‘Victor.’” The baron said stiffly.

“You never minded before.” Finlay chuckled.

“I mind now.”

“When I met ya, you were called ‘Victor Geddes.’ It’s still your name. Isn’t it? Even if you are the Baron Lensdown now.”

“You’ll address me as a footman would address a Baron.” Lensdown continued.

“Will I?” Finlay winked. “We shall see.”

“If you’re going to be difficult, Finlay, I can easily leave presently.”

Finlay sighed. “When did you become so haughty?”

“When I married Gertrude.” The baron replied.

“You shoulda stayed with me.” Finlay growled.

“A footman?” Lensdown shook his head. “My appetites would not be satisfied by a footman’s wages.”

“Does Gertrude satisfy all your appetites?”

“Never mind.” Lensdown answered.

“Did my sister?” Finlay frowned.

“Ellen served her purpose.” The baron replied. “She amused me. Never did I think that she’d be so useful to me.”

“That remains to be seen.” Finlay shook his head.

“Finlay, you’re the one who summoned me. You’ve made promises, Finlay. I’ve kept my end of the bargain, now I need you to satisfy your pledge.”

“What’s your hurry?”

“You know very well what my hurry is.” The baron snapped.

“Be patient, Victor.” Finlay smiled. “We’re almost there. You spoke to the Duke, then?”

“Your masters invited me to the impending ball.”

“Good.” Finlay nodded. “There’s just one more bit remaining and you shall have your reward.”

“What’s to stop Ellen from devouring you?” Lensdown sniffed. “You know she’s quite mad.”

“I know exactly how dangerous my half-sister is. And, I also know what a lying sow she is. She thinks I’m convinced that she’ll protect me when all is said and done, but I know that the moment she has what she wants, she’ll cast me aside…or worse.”

“Worse, I’d wager.” The Baron muttered.

“With you on my side, however,” Finlay laughed, “we’ll make sure that the vicious lass gets a taste of her own poison.”

“I simply want what you’ve promised me, Finlay.”

“You can have it, and so much more.”

“I don’t desire more.”

“Are you sure?”

“Quite.”

“Very well,” Finlay scowled. “This evening, we’re expecting the remaining servants from Belgrave Square to arrive—a scullery maid named Ethel, a kitchen maid called Jenny, a carriage man called Hutchinson and a page by the name of Georgie. Georgie is the cook’s son…”

“What has this to do with me?”

“If you’ll shut your gob and let me finish, I’ll tell you.”

“Continue, then.”

Finlay took a deep breath. “The Duke has gone to considerable expense to bring everyone here for the Servants’ Ball. He’s quite pleased with himself, thinking that he’s continuing his idiot father’s legacy of kindness and that he’s doing something so grand for the staff. He’ll certainly be preoccupied this evening when the others arrive. No doubt, he’ll wish to welcome them himself. And, wherever the Duke goes, the Doctor goes.”

“This is all fascinating.” The baron sighed.

Finlay ignored the man. “Charles and Gerard—the valets—think that the Duke will wish to address the staff when the others from London arrive. That will mean that the African, Gamilla, will be alone with the child while everyone else is occupied. I will open the garden entrance and leave it for you.”

“Where’s the nursery?”

“It’s just next to the Duke’s bedchamber at the top of the first flight of stairs. It’s the second door on the west side.” Finlay answered.

“Where is Ellen?”

“Her room is on the lowest floor—at the far east side of the house.” Finlay grinned. “Everyone else will be in the Servants’ Hall.”

“How will I know when the Duke is out of the way?”

“I shall light a candle in the center window of second floor of the front tower.” Finlay explained.

“And, I’m to wait in the shrubbery?”

“I don’t care where you wait as long as you arrive on time.”

“What if I don’t?” Lensdown snarled.

“Your wife will receive a letter from a friend informing her that her husband is debauched.” Finlay sighed. “But, let’s not worry about that, Victor. You’ve only one little task which I’m sure you’ll find most free of difficulty, and, if I remember you correctly, most agreeable. And, then…well, you’ll never have to worry about anything again. Not Gertrude, not Ellen, nor, even the Duke of Fallbridge.”

“You know,” The baron replied. “He doesn’t seem to recall a thing. It’s as if the whole episode has been erased from his mind.”

“He’s mad.”

“I sometimes wonder if I had something to do with it.”

“What’s this?” Finlay smiled. “A conscience?”

“I shouldn’t have done it.” The baron sighed. “I knew that I should’t have done it.”

“Which part?”

“Any of it.” Lensdown shook his head. “I didn’t know the boy was watching.” He grumbled. “But, once I discovered that he’d seen the whole thing—I didn’t have a choice. How was I to know that he’d end up a lunatic?”

“It wasn’t your doing entirely.” Finlay answered gently. “After all, it was, as I recall, his nanny’s idea.”

“Rittenhouse always liked me.” Lensdown nodded. “It was she who suggested I travel to Yorkshire. I’d written her of the…incident. I wondered if the boy remembered what had happened. She told me that he had never mentioned it, but that he was a sneaky, furtive thing. She suggested that he was biding his time before he told Sir Colin. So, at her suggestion, I went to Fallbridge Hall, and, followed her instructions. Still—it pains me every so often. I can’t help , but think…” He paused. “I will always owe her a debt of gratitude. Whatever became of her?”

“She was killed.” Finlay grinned. “When the Duke was in America.”

“Did he kill her?”

“No.” Finlay shook his head. “No. It was another party.”

“How tragic.”

“One reaps what one sows, Victor.”

“Is that true of you?”

“Yes.” Finlay nodded. “But, I shall dance until the harvest.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-91 of Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square? If so, you can read them here. Come back tomorrow for Chapter 93.

6 comments:

Marsha said...

No way!

Joseph Crisalli said...

Way.

Sam P said...

My God! What horrible people.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Yes, they are.

Book Gurl said...

Didn't see that coming!

Joseph Crisalli said...

Ha! Good!