Friday, June 29, 2012

Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square, Chapter 75


Chapter 75: 
First and Last 



Gamilla sat, cradling Colin, in the small nursery which Mrs. North had created in the former dressing room of the Duke of Fallbridge. The space was much smaller than the suite of rooms which comprised the nursery at No. 65 Belgrave Square. Still, Gamilla, concluded, it was equally luxurious.

There was something about the castle which Gamilla found enchanting. Perhaps it was because, with its turrets and spires, it reminded Gamilla of the stories she so enjoyed when she first learned to read. She looked down at Colin and smiled. “Look at all this, Master Colin. One day, all this will be yours.” She sighed, adding, “but not for a long, long time, I pray.”

As the tall, thickly-carved door scraped open, Gamilla rose, expecting the Duke and the doctor to come into the room.

“Mrs. Pepper.” Gamilla smiled.

“Thought I’d bring ya your tea.” Mrs. Pepper smiled, carrying in a large tray.

“Oh, you shouldn’t do that. Ain’t fit for you to carry.” Gamilla shook her head.

“Now, now, it’s good for me every so often. Besides, the whole household is at sixes and sevens lookin’ for Miss Barrett—foolish girl. I wonder if she knows what trouble she’s caused.”

“I hope she’s not fallen into harm,” Gamilla sighed, settling back onto the sofa.

“Much as I hate to say it, Gamilla,” Mrs. Pepper snorted, sitting down next to the girl, “She’d better be in some kind of danger to cause this much trouble. Just think. The masters, Mr. Speaight, the boys—even Mrs. North and the Grange’s staff, they’re all out there lookin’ for her. Meanwhile, the Duke and Dr. Halifax haven’t had their tea. Staff dinner will be later than it should, for sure, and certainly upstairs dinner will be very late. It ain’t fair.”

“I don’t think Miss Barrett would do this on purpose.” Gamilla shook her head. “Sure, I don’t. For true.”

“You like that girl, then?” Mrs. Pepper smiled.

“She been very nice to me, Mrs. Pepper.” Gamilla nodded.

“Well, then, you just go on likin’ her. I don’t know why. I hope, for everyone’s sake, that she’s not harmed. Maybe she’s just lost. But, she shouldn’t have wandered off without tellin’ no one. I don’t know what she’s like. I just don’t.”

“Thank you for the tea, Mrs. Pepper.” Gamilla smiled.

“My pleasure, dear.” Mrs. Pepper nodded, rising from the sofa. “I’d best get back to the kitchen. Never thought I’d say this, but I’m lost without my Jenny and Ethel.”

“When Miss Barrett returns, I’ll come in and help ya.” Gamilla offered. “I know my way ‘round a kitchen.”

“Wouldn’t be right,” Mrs. Pepper squinted. “Actin’ as a kitchen maid—it’s beneath you.”

“Makin’ sure our family eats ain’t beneath me. Besides, Mrs. Pepper, I’d like to help you.”

“Well, I may just take you up on it. God knows the cook won’t lift a finger for me.”

“Why?”

“She’s put out that the Duke brought me. Says she’s been feedin’ this house for ten years and she don’t need me. Says she could have fed His Grace and the doctor if she needed to without my uppity help.”

“But, didn’t you tell her that His Grace only brought you so as not to add to her burden?”

“I did. You know what she did, the sow? She called me a liar!”

“I never.” Gamilla shook her head. “Well, don’t let it bother ya, Mrs. Pepper.”

“Oh, I won’t.” Mrs. Pepper winked. “Now, will you be wantin’ your supper on a tray later? I can bring it to ya or send Gerry.”

“I hope to join the others in the servants’ hall. Providin’, of course, Miss Barrett comes back.”

“Let’s hope she does, dear.” Mrs. Pepper nodded. “You just ring if you need anything, then.”

“Thank you, Mrs. Pepper. You’re so kind.”

“We gotta stick together in these strange places. Ain’t gonna let these Scots tell us what to do. We’re His Grace’s primary staff, you know. Ain’t no way ‘round it.”

“No, Mrs. Pepper.” Gamilla nodded.

Mrs. Pepper offered one more nod of punctuation before leaving the room.

Alone with the baby, Gamilla giggled. “Poor Mrs. Pepper. She don’t like to be challenged, does she, Master Colin?”

The child looked up at her with wide eyes, gurgling a bit.

“You tryin’ to tell me somethin’?” Gamilla asked.

Colin put his lips together and puffed out air, making a “P” sound.

“Well, well, Master Colin! Ain’t that good?”

“Puh…puh…puh…” Colin repeated.

“Are you tryin’…?” Gamilla smiled.

“Puh…nnnnn” Colin replied carefully.

“That’s it, boy.” Gamilla chirped.

“Puh…nnnnn…ch.” Colin said slowly. “Punch.”

“Oh!” Gamilla whooped. “You done said your pappy’s name! What a good boy!”

Gamilla stood and twirled the child in the air.

“Punch!” He shrieked happily.

“Your first word, my big, big boy!” Gamilla laughed loudly.

So caught up in the joy and pride she was feeling, Gamilla didn’t notice that the door to the room had opened and closed.

“I’m so proud,” Gamilla chuckled, hugging the boy.

And, then, she looked up—her eyes widening in confusion.

“Miss!” Gamilla exclaimed upon seeing Ellen Barrett standing before her.

“He’s said his first word, then?” Ellen whispered.

“Yes.” Gamilla nodded.

“How appropriate since these, I’m sure, will be my last.” Ellen replied.



Did you miss Chapters 1-74? If so, you can read them here. Come back tomorrow for Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square, Chapter 76.



8 comments:

Matt said...

I'm so happy Colin's first word is Punch.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Thanks, Matt. I thought it time Colin actually said something.

Darcy said...

When I read Collin's first word was Punch I smiled. When I read Ellen say that her words might be her last I got a chill. Great writing!

Joseph Crisalli said...

Thank you, Darcy!

Dashwood said...

I agree with Matt and Darcy. But how mean of you to leave us hanging til Monday!

Joseph Crisalli said...

Thanks, Dashwood. But, I'm not leaving you hanging until Monday. There's a chapter tomorrow. Of course, it'll be another cliffhanger...

Book Gurl said...

Book Guy just had eye surgery so I read him today's chapter and he was as pleased by Colin's talking as I was. What's Ellen's problem though? Geez!

Joseph Crisalli said...

Thank you, Book Gurl. Here's wishing Book Guy a speedy recovery. You're kind to read to him.