|The Victoria & Albert Museum|
This filigree ring of gold wire is set with a plate engraved with the inscription “Mazel Tov.” The plate, actually seems to be a later addition to the ring which originally dates to 1800. In Hebrew, “Mazel Tov” loosely translates to “Good luck.”
A ring such as this would have served as a ritual gift, given during the Jewish marriage ceremony. Though this practice has been a part of the ceremony since ancient times, it is only documented since the Fifteenth Century.