Thursday, February 24, 2011

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 179

Robert helped Mr. Punch back up the stairs.


“You’ve got to realize that this man is dangerous to us,” Robert said as he supported his friend.

“Is he?” Mr. Punch smiled.

“Think about it, dear Punch,” Robert said firmly, “he was sent by Barbara who has allegiances to both Iolanthe and Marie Laveau.”

“Precisely.” Mr. Punch answered.

“So, how could you possibly allow him to be a member of our household staff?” Robert asked as they turned the corner toward Julian’s room.

“It’s easy, it is.” Mr. Punch said cheerfully. “Listen, Chum, I don’t think that fella down there is a bad one. Sure, maybe he’s been swayed by Barbara’s charm, but I think his reasons for wantin’ to be my valet are honest enough. He’s lookin’ to improve his life. He don’t know what Barbara nor any of them others might want from him. But, see, it’s his alliance with me master’s sister what makes him the perfect one to be here.”

“How exactly?” Robert sighed.

“Cuz, Chum.” Mr. Punch chuckled. “If he were sent here by Barbara, that means that she’s not going to be far behind. Now, look, we come here to bring Barbara home to me master’s mum. Now, the Duchess is dead. But, that don’t mean our obligation to take her away from the bad decisions she made is dead. With this Charles in our lives, we got a better chance to convince Barbara to come back to England with us. Besides that, what’s it that Cecil always says? ‘Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.’”

Robert grinned.

“What’s more,” Mr. Punch continued, “Maybe he can help us get the Molliner Blue back. I still want it, you know. No, not for the money what it’s worth, but cuz it were me pa’s and it were somethin’ what he cared ‘bout. It should come home with us. If this Charles is loyal to Barbara, too, he might know what’s become of the diamond. We come all this way, I’d hate for us to come this far and have nothin’ but bullet holes and pain to show for it. Wouldn’t it be somethin’ for this journey to end with us on a ship with Barbara goin’ home to Fallbridge Hall, the diamond in our pocket and maybe, even, Barbara’s child—me nephew—comin’ home to inherit what he deserves? When me and Julian are gone, what’s to become of our name? No, not the Fallbridge title, but me pa’s name? Don’t we owe it to Sir Colin to see that there’s more Molliners? We could give this child my name, give him his title, give him the land and the wealth what he should have. It’d be easy enough to hide his paternity, it would. We could say that he were a child what you and I took as our ward while in America. All the while, he’d have Molliner blood in his veins. We’d know. That’s all what matters. Wouldn’t it be beautiful?”

“Mr. Punch,” Robert shook his head. “Forgive me. I’ve done you a disservice.”

“How ya figure?” Mr. Punch asked.

“I underestimated you.”

“No.” Mr. Punch smiled. “You were just lookin’ after me. That’s good.”

“But, in doing so, I treated you as if you were delicate and fragile. You’re not. You’re no longer the child-like creature that I first met. You’re a very wise man.”

“Oh, I don’t know ‘bout none of that. I know only what I think. And, that’s what I thought when I met this Charles…maybe he’s the key what we need to get to Barbara. I’ve been learnin’ a thing or two ‘bout keys since Naasir left us. I’m learnin’ that they open doors sometimes what open with effort and loud creakin’, but they still need to open.”

“Has Julian used the ‘key’ that Naasir left for him?” Robert asked softly.

“No.” Punch shook his head. “Not yet, but it’ll come…and soon, I think. But, we can only use one key at a time. Let’s use this Charles as a key, too, Chum. If I turn out to be mistaken, then we can clean up the mess like what we clean up all the messes ‘round us.”

“Sometimes you overwhelm me, dear Punch.” Robert grinned.

“Don’t mean to.” Punch said, coughing slightly.

“Now, if you’ll allow me to be something of a tyrant, you really do need to go to bed.” Robert smiled.

“I understand.” Punch nodded. “And, I agree.” Punch sat on the bed and leaned back, allowing Robert to cover him up. Toby trotted in behind them and leapt on the bed, snuggling up to Mr. Punch.

“Here’s your puppet,” Robert nodded, handing the figure to his friend.

“Thank you, Chum.” Mr. Punch sighed.

“I’ll go back down and finalize the arrangements with Charles.” Robert continued.

“Good.” Mr. Punch nodded.

“Just know, however, that I’ll be keeping a close eye on him.” Robert winked.

“I would expect nothing less.” Mr. Punch chuckled. “But, don’t worry, this ain’t gonna be a repeat of what happened with Arthur. This is a different kind o’ bloke. Very different.”

Robert nodded, “I hope so.”

Meanwhile, Ulrika Rittenhouse was pushing her way into Iolanthe Evangeline’s house. Mala shrieked as Ulrika angrily brushed past her.

“Try to stop me!” Ulrika spat, pulling a knife from her apron. “And, I’ll cut you, too.”

“You lunatic!” Mala screamed.

“I’m not the lunatic.” Ulrika shouted. “That witch upstairs—she’s the lunatic! Now, tell me, you hideous cow—where is my Arthur?”



Did you miss Chapters 1-178? If so, you can read them here.

2 comments:

Darcy said...

I love Mr. Punch's thought process.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Thanks, Darcy! He has a way of reasoning things out that works for him. He's not entirely unlike a dog in his way of thinking, actually, inasmuch as there's a particular innocent and linear quality to it. Have a good night!