Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 178

Arthur, darling,” Ulrika purred softly as she slipped back into her bedchamber. She was carrying a crystal carafe of bourbon which she’d snatched from Edward Cage’s parlor. She sashayed over to the bed and peered into the dim room, searching under the covers for the form of her lover.


Ulrika was surprised to see that though the bed was still warm, it was empty—nothing but a tangled mess of blankets. She put down the bourbon and ran her hand across the bed, withdrawing her fingers when they touched something wet. She studied her hand and found her fingers were coated with blood.

Her usual cool nature bubbled away and her heart began to race. She stifled a gulp and knealt down beside the empty bed where she noticed a lone purple feather tied to a folded slip of yellowed paper. Untying the page, she read aloud. “Did you really think that I’d have a short memory? I don’t want you thinkin’ that I do. Your man has a strong back. He’ll make some ship’s captain very happy. I’ll return him to you when you return what you’ve taken from me. –Iolanthe Evangeline.”

“Damn it!” Ulrika croaked. “That witch!”

At that very moment, further up Royal Street, Mr. Punch chuckled as Charles stammered.

“Sir, your sister isn’t manipulating me.” Charles said.

“Isn’t she?” Mr. Punch winked.

“I’ve come here because I decided it was the right thing to do.” Charles said. “Though Miss Barbara suggested that I’d enjoy a place in this household, I’ve come here today of my own volition. I know that I can serve you well, Your Grace. You’ll find me loyal and discreet. I already know of your particular…condition…”

“My condition,” Mr. Punch shook his head. “Here, the only condition I got is the condition of life. Just cuz I live my life as two people only means that I know what this body needs in order to survive. If survival is a condition, then I suppose I’m afflicted, otherwise, I’m not different than anyone else.”

“As you say, Your Grace.” Charles nodded.

“You like dogs?” Mr. Punch asked.

“Love them.” Charles smiled.

“You like babies? There’s a baby here. A nice baby, too. Me nephew—not by blood, but by love. Can you understand that?”

“Yes.” Charles nodded.

“There’s a little girl here, too. A good girl.” Mr. Punch continued. “They call her Columbia and you’re to understand that she’s a free little girl and should be treated as any other member of the household.”

“I see.” Charles answered.

“Can you treat folk what’re different than you with the same respect you’d treat me, a titled man, and this doctor and this artist and his wife?”

“Of course, Sir.” Charles said quickly. “In my eyes, all are equal.”

“He means that.” Mr. Punch smiled.

“Regardless, Your Grace,” Cecil interrupted. “He’s forged his letters of recommendation and comes to us through the interference of people who’d wish to do us ill.”

“You forged your things?” Mr. Punch asked.

“I did.” Charles frowned.

“Yet you admit you did wrong?” Mr. Punch continued.

“I always confess when I’ve sinned.” Charles nodded.

“What more can we ask of a man?” Mr. Punch sighed. “Here, if Barbara Allen or any of them other folk entreats you to work against me, to harm my family or to act in a way that’s unfit, will you comply with them or will you continue to serve us with loyalty and affection?”

“My affiliation is always with you, Your Grace.” Charles grinned.

“I believe him.” Mr. Punch said.

“Then, I may start?” Charles asked.

“Now, if you like.” Mr. Punch nodded.

“Now, just a moment,” Robert interrupted. “My dear, I don’t…I can’t let you…”

“Chum, let’s not have our first argument,” Mr. Punch smiled.

“I cannot agree to this.” Robert said angrily.

“It’s my decision to make.” Mr. Punch said.

“If you cannot see why this is unwise,” Robert growled. “You’re more ill than I…” He paused as he saw the look of hurt rise on Julian’s face.

“Go on, Chum.” Mr. Punch said. “If you got somethin’ to say…”



Did you miss Chapters 1-177? If so, you can read them here.

2 comments:

Darcy said...

Mr. Punch has become very wise.If he wants to hire Charles he either truly believes he can be trusted, or knows how to catch him in a lie.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Oh, he's got a plan. : ) Now, we'll have to see what it is. Thanks, Darcy!