Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 153

Just let him die, Barbara,” Ulrika Rittenhouse purred as Barbara Allen unbuttoned her brother’s jacket to see how badly he’d been injured.


Barbara scowled at her former employer. “How could you…”

“Easily, my dear,” Ulrika laughed.

Barbara tore a section of her petticoat off to press against the angry wound in her brother’s chest. She looked at her husband, “I knew you were capable of awful things, but to shoot your wife’s brother…”

“Pet, how many times have you conspired with me against him?” Arthur snorted. “Now, you’re full of reproach?”

“What I’d like to know,” Iolanthe interrupted, “is what the two of you are doing in my house!”

“What do you think?” Ulrika laughed. “I think it’s rather obvious, really.”

“You’ve lost control, Iolanthe.” Marie Laveau smiled. “I knew it would happen. You’d do well to return to me.”

“Isn’t this utterly delicious?” Ulrika cooed. “All of us together. The famous whore, the Voodoo priestess, and the heiress—all in one room, watching this Englishman bleed to death. It’s positively literary!”

“Do stop talking,” Iolanthe grunted.

“Oh, really, Iolanthe.” Ulrika sighed. “You’re not seriously going to act as if this isn’t something you didn’t want to do yourself. We don’t have to be enemies. I offered you a partnership, and I meant it. Once this little impediment…” she wiggled her finger at Julian’s body, “is gone, there’s nothing to prevent me from claiming the Fallbridge fortune as my own. I can share it with you. In exchange for something…”

“Is that why you’ve done this?” Barbara shouted. “Are you truly that mad?”

“Ah, my girl,” Marie Laveau laughed, “You have no idea of what true madness is.” Marie turned to Iolanthe and grinned. “You’ve been bested, Iolanthe. The whole of New Orleans is turning against you. This slip of a girl is a red-headed reminder that you done lost what power you ever had here. You’ve gotten greedy! Join me again. I’ll restore you to what you once were.”

“I’d rather die,” Iolanthe spat.

“I wouldn’t.” Barbara Allen rose.

“What?” Ulrika interrupted.

“I will join you, Marie.” Barbara said. “I’m strong and young. You don’t want Iolanthe. She’s getting old. You said yourself that her power is waning. Me—I have years left in me. And, I am capable of great things. I will do your work.”

“Quiet!” Iolanthe shouted. “You belong to me!”

“She belongs to me,” Arthur grunted.

“I belong to no one,” Barbara shook her head. “But, I can belong to you, Marie Laveau. I can be yours.”

“Tempting.” Marie grinned.

“All you have to do is save my brother,” Barbara nodded.

Meanwhile, despite the chaos around them, Mr. Punch and Julian sat quietly in the cerulean blue room in the ether inside Julian’s body—the room that they had created together inside their fortress of flesh and bone, the place where Julian rested, the place from which he watched as Mr. Punch lived for him.

“’S comfortable in here,” Mr. Punch sighed.

“It is.” Julian nodded.

“So, this is where you stay?” Mr. Punch asked.

“Most of the time,” Julian smiled. “You’ve allowed me this luxury. And, Mr. Punch, you’ve done so well. I’m proud of you.”

“You’re…” Mr. Punch gulped, “Proud of me?”

“Oh, very much.” Julian smiled. “Very proud, indeed. Don’t you see, Mr. Punch, you’ve rescued me. Time and time again. How often have you stepped in for me? How many times have you faced the world where I could not? For most of my life. You’ve been my voice, you’ve been my arms and my heart.”

“I failed, Master.” Mr. Punch said, swallowing hard.

“Have you?” Julian shook his head. “I don’t see that you have.”

“The Duchess.” Mr. Punch responded, his voice quavering. “I left her with the ogress. I left her and she died.”

“I want you to stop thinking that.” Julian said. “My mother chose to stay. We both know that nothing could have moved her. You didn’t cause her death. You must stop thinking it.”

“Can you forgive me?” Mr. Punch sobbed.

“Dear Punch, there’s nothing at all to forgive.” Julian smiled softly.

Mr. Punch wept. “But, I’ve failed in so many ways.”

“You’ve been nothing but triumphant! Look at all you’ve done!” Julian disagreed. “You’ve been more of a man, more of a success than I could ever have been alone.”

“Do you mean that?” Mr. Punch asked.

“You know that I do.” Julian nodded. “I have no secrets from you.”

“No.” Mr. Punch sighed. “You don’t.”

“But, you have secrets from me, don’t you?” Julian said softly.

“I do.” Mr. Punch answered quietly. “But, Master, I only kept the things from you what would hurt you. I done it to protect you.”

“I know.” Julian responded. “And, I do appreciate it. But, now…now, it’s time for us to share those secrets.”

“Why now?” Mr. Punch asked.

“Because our life is dimming.” Julian sighed. “We only have a short time. If we’re ever to be unified, now is the time to tell me all you know…”



Did you miss Chapters 1-152? If so, you can read them here.

No comments: