Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 57

The larger of the two men brushed past Adrienne and walked toward Fuller’s bassinette.


“Nice lookin’ baby.” He growled.

“Stay away from him.” Adrienne said firmly.

“Now, now, I ain’t gonna do nothin’.” The man laughed. “Just havin’ a look.”

“This has nothing to do with him.” Adrienne hissed.

“Do ya think this cradle is sturdy enough?” The man smiled. “Seems to me that any little movement could knock it right over. Like, say, if you was to make a loud noise.”

“Get away from my child.” Adrienne said plainly.

“Do as we say,” The man said threatingly, “and I will.”

“I will not go with you.” Adrienne responded.

“Isn’t you we want—this time.” The man laughed. “Though I must confess, I forgot what a ripe little thing you are.”

“What do you want, Professor?” Adrienne asked angrily.

“Ah, see, you remember me.” The man grinned.

“How could I forget you?” Adrienne asked. “You were the man who tortured me for that woman…that monster.”

“You say, ‘torture.’ I say, ‘influence.’” The Professor said, scratching his thick, black beard.

“I thought you were sent back to England. Your methods of ‘influence’ were even too much for Iolanthe Evangeline.”

“Sent for me, she did.” The Professor winked. “Guess she needed me after all. Needed me to bring something back with me from England. A few things, to be sure. Nice voyage, it was, too. Made a friend. His name was Arthur. He died, you know. Fell off the ship, they say. I don’t think that’s likely. No, I think it’s more likely he was pushed.” The professor flicked a finger against the bassinette so that it rocked gently.

“Leave my child alone.” Adrienne growled.

“Where’s the loony?” The professor asked.

“I don’t know what you mean.” Adrienne said.

“You know exactly what I mean. See, my friend here and I intend to have him. Your Lord Fallbridge.”

“What would Iolanthe want with Lord Fallbridge?” Adrienne asked.

“Not her that wants him.” The professor grinned. “Let’s say I’m here for her and for me. She wants the African. I want the loony what murdered my friend.”

“Lord Fallbridge isn’t a murderer.” Adrienne said.

“Maybe not. But, somethin’ inside him is.” The professor answered sharply. “So, just tell me where he is and where we can find the African priest and we’ll be on our way.”

“They’re not here.” Adrienne lied. “They’ve gone off somewhere. Ask my husband. He’s downstairs right now.”

“You’re lying to me.” The man balled his hand into a fist.

“I’m not.” Adrienne said defiantly. “Now, leave my house.”

“I won’t be leavin’ empty-handed.” The professor shook his head.

“Take me, then.” Adrienne said. “Iolanthe would welcome a chance to show me the cost of my insolence.”

“Temptin’.” The professor winked. “Only I think the little one will do nicer.”

“If you touch that child I will kill both of you.” Adrienne drew in a deep breath.

“I’d like to see you try.” The professor grunted.

“So would I!” Robert shouted as he and Mr. Punch entered the room.

“If it isn’t the good doctor and his loony.” The professor smiled.

The other man made a motion toward Robert and Mr. Punch.

“No!” The professor spat. “Zeke, let the men say their piece.”

“Adrienne, take Fuller and go to the cabins.” Robert said quickly.

Adrienne rushed to the bassinette and grabbed the baby. She hurried past Robert and whispered, “Thank you.”

“Remember me?” The professor asked when Adrienne had left the room.

“Yes.” Robert nodded. “You’re Arthur’s friend from the ship.”

“Oh, I’m friend to a lot of people.” The professor smiled.

Mr. Punch could keep silent no longer. “Who do you think you are threatenin’ me family? Nobody—nobody will harm me family what I love. You hear?”

“Settle yourself, loony.” The professor laughed. “It’ll all be so much easier if you do as I say.”

“I’ll stop yer laughin’!” Punch lunged Julian’s body forward. Robert grabbed Julian’s arm to stop him.

“No, Mr. Punch.” Robert yelled.

“So, he calls himself Mr. Punch?” The professor grinned. “Funny, isn’t it? Me bein’ a professor and all. Maybe I can make the puppet talk.”

“Ain’t a puppet!” Punch screamed. “Not no more. I’m a man, I am.”

“You ain’t a man.” The professor chuckled.

“And, you ain’t no professor!” Punch shouted.

“Where’s the African?” Zeke asked.

“Quiet, Zeke!” The professor said. “I’m handlin’ this.”

“Let me kill ‘em, Chum” Mr. Punch pleaded. “Please.”

“No!” Robert said firmly.

“They’re just gonna make us suffer. Ain’t no good sufferin’. Let me kill ‘em.” Punch continued.

“No,” Robert repeated. “I’d rather do it myself.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-56? If so, you can read them here.

6 comments:

Darcy said...

I think Adrienne would kill them if they tried to harm her baby. Mr. Punch and even level headed Robert seem ready to kill them even now. There's still so much mystery to be solved. Keep writing I'll keep reading.

Dashwood said...

Ah, our Robert is showing some true steel. Perfect. So much happening. I'm so glad that Adrienne and Fuller have made it out of the room. Maybe she can get help to Robert and Julian quickly.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Hello Darcy, I will most certainly keep writing! You're right about Adrienne. For as sweet as she is, she would do anything to protect her family. It seems, the same is true of Robert. Mr. Punch is learning a lot from them, and I think some of Punch's spirit has rubbed off on Robert as well. Thanks for coming back!

Joseph Crisalli said...

Hi Dashwood. Cecil is still on the property. Let's hope Adrienne can get to him or one of the servants before Robert does anything he'll regret.

Fran said...

It's too exciting. I luv it!!!

Joseph Crisalli said...

Thank you, Fran!