Uzbekistan, c. 1800-1900
The Victoria & Albert Museum
Described in the early Twentieth Century accounts of the V&A as being from the Yemen district of Arabia, this handsome clasp was acquired by the V&A in 1910 and is thought to have been made in the early 1800s. Later curators concluded that the clasp was not made in Yemeni, but rather from Bukhara in Uzbekistan. Adorned with floral repoussé on the silver sheet which forms the backing, the clasp is pave set with turquoises—a main featured of Uzbek jewelry. Pendants of coral beads on silver wire contrast the brilliant blue. The center stone is actually yellow glass.