|Pendant of blue enameled gold, 1814|
J. Barber for Rundell, Bridge & Rundell
The Victoria & Albert Museum
This pendant was created as a gift for Sir William Knighton, one of the Prince of Wales's (the Prince Regent, later King George IIV) physicians. Knighton was created a baronet in 1813 and from 1822, he served George IV as private secretary and keeper of the privy purse.
The inclusion of the attributes of peace (olive) and victory (palm) in the design (marking the successful outcome of the wars against Napoleon) suggest an 1814 creation for the pendant which also features a portrait head of the Prince of Wales with a laurel wreath.
J. Barber, a medalist associated with Rundell, Bridge & Rundell, the Royal Goldsmiths, created the medallion of gold and blue enamel. The head was modeled by Peter Rouw (1771-1852).