Seddon & Sons of London, 1790
Seen here without its cushion.
This and all related images from:
The Victoria & Albert Museum
Once part of a large set of drawing room furniture, this delicate satinwood chair with its hand-painted polychrome flowers and feathers must now represent its lost brethren. Made in 1790 by the English firm of Seddon & Sons, the chair was owned by the wealthy Tupper Family of Hauteville House in Guernsey, England, who had furnished their opulent drawing room in the light, painted and marquetried style which was popular at the time.
Seddon & Sons was, at the end of the Eighteenth Century, undoubtedly the largest furniture concern in London. The shield-shape of the chair’s back was, likely, inspired by the designs of George Hepplewhite which had been published in his book The Cabinet-maker and Upholsterer's Guide of 1788.
The original bill of sale accompanies the chair and notes that it was one of eighteen which had been ordered by Daniel Tupper for Hauteville House. Three of the set were armchairs.
The bill reads:
George Seddon & Sons,
18 Satinwood Elbow Chairs round fronts and hollow can'd seats neatly Japanned - ornamented with roses in back and peacock feather border @ 73/6 ea. £66.3.0.