Thursday, March 7, 2013

Object of the Day, Museum Edition: A Sampler from 1780



The Victoria & Albert Museum



Samplers were not just a hobby for young ladies from well-to-do families, early samplers also served as reference works for embroiderers, allowing them to show samples of patterns and stitches.

Still, as early as the seventeenth century, young ladies used these samplers as a way of practicing their needlework. This example from 1780 was created by one Sarah Brignell when she was ten years old. She’s created a lovely work with a floral border enclosing a religious verse. Also pictured is a lady in a rural landscape with a large bird, flowers, a butterfly and a stag. The border incorporates images of large carnations, honeysuckle, roses and other flowers.

The inscription reads;

A Hymn of St. Josaph Addis 


To the My God I hourly sigh but Not for golden Star 
Nor Court I the brightest gems (?) on the rich Eastern 
Shore: Nor that Deluding Empty joy Men call A 
Mighty name nor greatness in its gayest (?) Pride my 
Restless thoughts inflame: nor pleasure sort imiceing (?) 
Charms my fond desire alure for Greater things 
Than these from thee my wishes would secure 
Those blissful those transporting 
smiles that brighten heaven 
Above The bou- 
ndless riches 
of thy grace 
and Treasures 
of they Love. These are 
The mighty things I crave O make these blessings 
Mine and I the Glories of the world contentedly 
resign. Sarah the daughter of William And 
Sarah Brignell was born October the 24 
In the year of our Lord 1769 
My sampler finished Feb the 2 day 1780




No comments: