Monday, February 4, 2013

Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square, Chapter 249




Chapter 249
Brothers 




Now…you go an’ play with the others. There’s a lamb.” Eudora said with surprising pleasantness…or, perhaps pity.

Fern shook her head, reaching up to touch her head where her braid was once thick and full.

“Don’t ya like my boys and girls?” Eudora asked.

Fern spoke up, her voice high and frightened. “Where’s my mama?”

“Your mama will be comin’ for ya soon ‘nough.” Eudora Stover replied. “Now, go on and play.”

“She took my hair and she hurt that lady.” Fern said softly. “And, Miss Hortence.”

“I know, lamb.” Eudora replied. “It weren’t right her doin’ that—‘specially not in front of you.”

“She said she’d do to me what she did to that lady if I wasn’t a good girl. But, I’ve been a good girl and she’s still been so mean to me.”

Eudora nodded.

“Is she your friend, Miss?” Fern asked.

“No.” Eudora whispered. “Orpha Polk is no friend o’ mine.” She shook her head. “I dunno what I was thinkin’. I let Hortence turn my head with talk of riches and…”

“Whose house is this, Miss?” Fern asked.

“Mine.” Eudora answered. “Well, a gentleman friend o’ mine lets us stay here, I should say more rightly.”

“Can’t you make her leave, then, Miss?”

“No, lamb. I can’t. Miss Polk don’t do nothin’ what she don’t wanna do.” Eudora looked around. “Now, you’d best go play with the others lest Miss Polk see ya gettin’ special treatment. You know how she don’t like that.”

“Please, Miss. Please take me to my mama. Please.”

“I would, lamb. Only I don’t think we’d make it outta the house. You saw what she done to Hortence.”

“I saw.” Fern looked away.

“All Hortence done was try to stop ‘er from ‘armin’ that nice girl from the Duke’s place.” Eudora continued.

“Them ladies work for a Duke?”

“One o’ ‘em does, now.” Eudora sighed. “The other’s gone to Heaven.”

Fern nodded. “Which Duke?”

“The Duke of Fallbridge.”

“Grandmama hated him, but mama says he’s a kind man.”

“I see now that he is. Listen to me, young miss, don’t let yourself be greedy. It’s the fastest way to hurt folk what don’t deserve it. You understand?”

Fern shook her head. “No.”

“Well,” Eudora whispered. “I were greedy, young miss. Hortence and me both. We saw a man, the Duke, what we thought weak and thought we could take what we could from ‘im. Only in doin’ it, we was punished by our own greed. Hortence, she saw her friend…hurt. And, sad to say, it were the last thing she’ll ever see.”

“Why?”

“Don’t you worry none ‘bout it.” Eudora hushed the girl.

“Miss Polk hurt her eyes?”

“Yes.” Eudora nodded. “We let wickedness and greed make us do things we oughtn’t. Greed is a foul thing, girl. It makes a body hurt its own kind.”

“Did you hurt someone?” Fern frowned. “Miss, did you hurt someone like Miss Polk did when she put the knife in the lady?”

“No.” Eudora replied. “But, just as bad. My own brother. I…made him my fun and I made him do things he oughtn’t. And…”

“Miss Polk hurt him, too. I know she did. I heard her say it to you.”

“If I’d known…” Eudora scowled. “I’d never ‘ave…” She looked at Fern. “But, that’s not for ‘ere, is it?”

Fern shrugged. “Will you take me to my mama now?”

“I can’t, my lamb.” Eudora repeated. “With Hortence like she is now, it’s just me and all you children. I got you and them other two, and all me own. I can’t take ya all out at once, and I can’t leave a one o’ ya behind for should Orpha see I’ve gone, she’d not stop ‘erself from…”

“Doing to us what she did to that lady and Miss Hortence and your brother?”

“That’s right, lamb.”

“Why is she like this, Miss?” Fern asked.

“She’s mad.” Eudora replied. “She’s blinkin’ mad. I’d ‘ave seen it were I not blinded by greed. And, now, Hortence is blind forever and I…” Eudora paused. “’Ere, she’s comin’. Go and join the others, please, now. She’s got a special hate for ya, child. Go with the others so she don’t see ya.”

“Stop!” Orpha growled as she spotted Fern with Eudora. “What is this?” She stepped forward holding a large, heavy, long bundle in her arms.

“Fern was just askin’ if someone was at the door.” Eudora lied. “She’s a good girl, keepin’ watch to see us all safe. ‘Specially you, Orpha.”

“Is that so?” Orpha snarled.

“Was there someone come to visit?” Eudora asked. She gently pushed Fern toward the back of the room where the other children sat quietly trying to hide themselves from the ugly scenes which had unfolded before their innocent eyes—the murder of Jenny, the cruel blinding of Hortence, and a host of other insufferable acts of cruelty.

“Don’t send her off.” Orpha grinned. “Yes, there was someone at the door. A man brought a playmate for you, Fern. A special playmate.”

Fern looked with fear at the bundle, wrapped in some rough cloth or blanket, which Orpha held—a bundle which seemed to be moving slightly.

“Let’s have ‘her join the others.” Eudora spoke up. “No sense in…”

“Quiet!” Orpha bellowed. “I want Fern to meet her brother. It’s important for a girl to have a brother. I know I cherish mine.”

“I don’t have a brother.” Fern said softly.

“You do.” Orpha snapped. “Two of them. One over there…” She pointed toward Lady Lensdown’s son.

Fern shook her head.

“Yes, Fern, he’s your brother. His father is the same as your father. And, this, in my arms, is your other brother. His father and the same as your father two. Do you know how I know? Because his father is also my own brother. And…the father of my son.”

With that, Orpha pulled back the blanket which covered the bundle in her arms.

Fern shrieked with horror and rushed toward Eudora who gasped. “Dear God, Orpha!”

“Look at your brother, Fern.” Orpha laughed, coming quickly toward the child. “Come to him! Look into his eyes!”



Did you miss Chapters 1-248 of Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square? If so, you can read them here. Come back tomorrow for Chapter 250.



No comments: