Friday, January 11, 2013

Mr. Punch's Puzzles: The Riddle of the Week









Once, again, Mr. Punch, with my help, is offering up a true Victorian riddle.  The first person to answer correctly--by posting in the comments--will receive public congratulations.  Some week, I may offer a nifty prize from our online store.  (Why do I always say "our" online store, as if I'm more than one person?).  But, this week, I don't feel like it.

So, here's this week's riddle.  We ask that you don't Google the answer.  Mr. Punch would not find that sporting at all.  Give it a shot and see what you can come up with.  Here we go... No cheating...

This week's is a really "Punchy" one as it comes straight from my Mr. Punch's Pocket Book from 1860.


My first is a fruit that's mellow;
My second is a fish that's yellow;
And my whole by a swell fella
Is used as an umbrella.


And the answer is...

Are you ready for it?

A pear-a-sole (parasol).

Oh, for the fun of 1860!  Congratulations to Darcy and Gene for their clever answers and thanks to all of you who attempted this difficult riddle.  Come back next Friday for another, and easier, of Mr. Punch's Puzzles.




Mr. Punch wants you to always know “the way to do it,” so why not check out our “That’s the way to do it!” products which are available only at our online store.  

13 comments:

Matt said...

Bananarama.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Ha! No.

April said...

The Banana Split Gang.

Joseph Crisalli said...

I think maybe.

Gene said...

A cowardly fluke.

Darcy said...

Mary Poppins flloating in the air carrying a lemon and persimmon scented canary fish.

Sam P said...

A banana does fold open like an umbrella but has nothing to do with fish. I just don't know.

Joseph Crisalli said...

You're close.

Joseph Crisalli said...

The above was meant for Darcy. Sam, you're not.

Carolyn said...

The Yellow Fish Road.

Joseph Crisalli said...

You don't have to follow it...you can just smell it.

Barb said...

An edible umbrella sushi roll.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Available only in certain big box stores.