Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square, Chapter 216



Chapter 216
A Choice 



What do you wish to tell us, Lady Constance?” Mr. Punch asked.

“I…” Constance sniffed.

“Which part of your tale is false?” Punch asked. “All of it? Some of it? Do you have a daughter? Is she in peril? What of Lady Lensdown’s children?”

“How did you know?”

“I always know.” Mr. Punch replied.

“What are you doing, Connie?” Gertrude shrieked. “What’s become of my children?”

Lennie patted Gertrude’s hand gently. “It’s no use your becoming overwrought, Lady Lensdown.”

“I think you’d best answer for yourself,” Robert said firmly.

“You…” Lady Constance shook her head.

“Come, then.” Punch frowned. “Or I will go to the Queen. I merely wanted to see how you’d react to the idea. By your response, I could tell at once that you’ve not been forthright with us.”

“My daughter really has been taken. So have Gertrude’s children.”

“By whom?” Robert asked.

“Orpha Polk—that’s what she calls herself.”

Lennie shuddered.

“I knew you were scheming with that woman.” Gertrude whimpered. She looked to the Duke and Dr. Halifax. “That’s why I came here this evening. I wished to tell you I’d seen Lady Constance at Mivart’s with that Polk woman.”

“If you are a friend of Miss Polk’s,” Punch narrowed his eyes, “Why has she taken your child?”

“To ensure that I do as she asks.” Constance replied.

“Which is?” Punch demanded.

“To bring the Baron Lensdown to her.”

“Why?” Gertrude sobbed. “Why? Why involve my children?”

“To further ensure that the baron would cooperate, no doubt.” Robert shook his head.

“What does she want of my husband?” Lady Lensdown wiped her eyes. “She’s already had her hooks in him, or his in her, as it were. Nevertheless, he tired of her just as he tired of you, Constance.”

Lady Constance took a deep breath.

Lennie spoke softly. “She fixates. I know that she does. She clamps her desires on one thing and will not release it.”

“If all of my husband’s lovers claimed a part of him, there’d be nothing left!” Gertrude snapped. “That’s his funeral to be sure, but my children—they shouldn’t suffer for the sins of their father. Nor, Constance should your daughter. How could you allow yourself to associate with this woman?”

“I had no choice. She left me with no option.” Constance exclaimed.

“To think that this wicked woman has my children…” Gertrude murmured.

“I don’t think she’ll harm them.” Constance said quickly.

“Oh?” Robert asked. “She’s already threated our son. She’s said she’d do harm to Colin were we not to provide her with the money she craves. That’s why this house is so guarded. Colin is a child that she knows, a boy she cared for for months! Don’t you think she’d hurt a child unknown to her?”

Lennie nodded. “I agree. She’s dangerous. Even to a child.”

“No. She’s a mother herself.” Constance replied.

“Is she?” Punch shook his head, still managing to speak as Julian. “Another child of the baron’s? Is that it? Is she ought for revenge?”

“In part.” Constance nodded. “I don’t know what motivates her. She’s horrible.”

“I know.” Punch spat.

“You don’t know just how horrible.” Constance said without thinking.

“Don’t I?” Punch growled. “How much blood have I seen spilt because of her? How many were buried at her whim?”

“There’s more.” Robert glowered. “Tell us what you know, Constance.”

“Her…her…brother.”

“She has no brother. Finlay was not kin to her, and I’m certainly not!” Punch shouted.

“Victor Geddes!” Constance yelled.

“What?” Gertrude snorted. “That’s not true.”

“I don’t understand,” Punch squinted. “Geddes IS the baron. Her former lover.”

“And her true brother!” Constance answered.

“No.” Gertrude shook her head.

“It’s true.”

“How could it be?” Robert shivered.

“It is.” Constance said.

“You’re suggesting that…” Gertrude stuttered. “That…I can’t even say it.”

“Nevertheless, it’s fact.” Constance nodded. “He is her brother, and the father of her child.”

“Does he know this?” Robert asked.

“No.”

“Something so vile…” Punch sank into a chair. “So foul. I can’t believe it.”

“I can.” Lennie whispered. “I believe it to be true. Not even the most disgusting act is beneath her.”

“She’s more of a beast than I thought.” Punch looked to Constance. “What has any of this to do with us? Why come here?”

“Because she told me to.”

“With no explanation?” Robert asked.

“No.”

“When she finds youv’e betrayed her, she’ll see to it that you suffer.” Punch sighed.

“I know.” Constance replied. “You must help me.”

“I have no wish to help you.” Punch grumbled. “However, for the sake of Lady Lensdown and for the sake of those three innocents, I certainly will do all that I can.”

“Thank you, Your Grace.” Gertrude sniffed. She turned to Lady Hamish. “Connie, I’ve seen you grow I the shadow of a mother who treated you horridly. I’ve tried time and again to defend you—even knowing how you allowed yourself to betray me. But, this…this…”

“Can’t you see that I had no choice?”

“Everyone has a choice, Constance.” Gertrude replied firmly.

“Do keep calm, Lady Lensdown,” Lennie said softly.

“We all need to remain calm.” Robert said. “Lennie, will you show Lady Lensdown to the coral room where she might rest and refresh herself?”

“Of course.”

“What of that one?” Punch asked, indicating to Constance.

“I have more questions for Lady Constance.” Robert replied flatly.

“I’m glad of it.” Punch nodded. “For I do as well.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-215 of Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square? If so, you can read them here. Come back tomorrow for Chapter 217.



No comments: